Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Rib question re: Mustard Rub

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've just purchased a large BGE. Boy am I eggcited! Anyway, bought some pork spare ribs for the 4th and have rubbed them down tonight with JJ's rub. [p]However, I also see comments on this forum re: rubbing them with mustard.[p]Question: Are we talking about rubbing them with dry mustard or are we talking about regular yellow mustard (like French's or whatever). Also, if regular yellow mustard, should I just use a real light coating?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Doug K.,
    Use the cheapist yellow mustard you can find and slather it on first then add the rub. Not necessary to have a real heavy coating.

• Unknown
    Options
    JJ,
    THANKS for the expertise. I've been grilling for years and years but have only prepared one meal so far on the BGE. BUT.....I'm gonna be cookin' lots more now that the ole egg's around.[p]And, also a big word of THANKS for your rub recipe. I've seen LOTS of ravings about it on this forum. Can't hardly wait till tomorrow's dinner. Mouth is watering already just thinkin' about it![p]I didn't know to put the mustard on first. I've already put them in the refrigerator. Do you think it'd be ok if I wait till tomorrow morning to put the mustard on or would I be better off putting in on tonight?[p]Also, would you recommend I put some hickory or mesquite chunks into the egg tomorrow while cooking the ribs or does the lump charcoal give it enough flavor by itself?

• JJ
    Options
    Doug K.,
    You do not have to put the mustard on if you do not want to. I usually do not use mustard (personal preference). I like any kind of wood while doing Q. Each type of wood gives the food a unique flavor. Tis no right or wrong way. Just please your self and your family. No wood is great too.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JJ,[p]I agree with Mr. JJ. However, if I was forced to recommend my favorite wood, I'd say a hickory and apple combo. I'm using this more and more and I've been liking it with pretty much anything I cook.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Doug K., don`t let him fool ya , he got that mustard trick from me...
    ya gotta watch that guy.
    Mop!

• Ksdaddio
    Ksdaddio Posts: 32
    Options
    Doug K.,
    When I first heard of using plain yellow mustard, I thought these guys were crazy! Do not fear, they DO know what they are talking about. It is delicious and forms a crust that is out of this world. Check out the recipes, and get ready to enjoy

• JJ
    Options
    Mop,
    How could I have forgotten that. Must have been a senior moment.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Doug K.,
    The ribs will be just fine to put the mustard on last. Either way is great.

• Unknown
    Options
    Mop,
    Thanks for the mustard idea! I'd have NEVER thought of putting mustard on ribs. They were darn good. REAL darn good.[p]I like finding out all these good secrets. Maybe some day I'll find some of my own I can share with you long term BGE owners????[p]