Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL disadvantages

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are ready to purchase and had decided on the XL - 2 of us plus atleast 3 teenage boys. Seems like the XL is not often recommended. What are the disadvantages. When we use the old gas grill, we fill it up,, usually twice and it is about the size of the XL in surface area. [p]Also, does anyone know where in OKC can you get Ozark Oak?[p]Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    okienewby,[p]I feed 50-100 people with my two XL's They use more fuel. They are heavier (200 pounds) They can be difficult to maintain temp. [p]I feed 20-40 people with my two large eggs. They use less fuel and they aren't as heavy. They lock in temps[p]Unless you plan on catering get a Large.. [p]
  • Mrs. Taz
    Mrs. Taz Posts: 21
    okienewby,[p]
    I have an Xl and a large, I also have 3 teenage boys. I find I use my XL more than my large because I will cook more than just my meat on it. I prepare the whole meal on the XL or multiple meals. The XL is wider which lets you do this. The Large has a taller dome which allows you to cook rack of food by stacking one layer on top of the other. While the lid is heavy on the XL it is still my favorite. I have not had trouble with temperate stability in either of my eggs.

• Mrs. Taz,[p]Thanks for your help. Sounds like you cook a lot like we cook. How long does it take for the egg to be ready for you to put the food on after you light it?? Seems like that could be a difference. You mentioned that the lid is shallower on the XL, is there still enough height for a large turkey ?[p]Thanks again
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    okienewby,[p]I live in OKC...I get Ozark at Crest on Hefner and Meridian..[p]It is a little over 4 bucks per bag..[p]I bought 5 bags yesterday...[p]
  • Celtic Wolf,
    Or two larges. That way you can cook at 2 different temps at the same time.

• okienewby,[p]
    I open up the botton vent all the way & leave the Daisey wheel off. I light it in 4 places like a 4 on a dice. It takes 20 minutes to reach 300. I have no problem fitting any size turkey in it. With Pizza it does not seem to upset the gasket as much as the large. Since I make pizza all the time this is another advance to the XL. I find the Large is actually harder to light. I think it is because of air flow.

• icemncmth,
    Thanks, I shop at Crest every week. What size bag is that??

• Mrs. Tax,
    Thanks again. Can't wait to get started.

• eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    okienewby,[p]I purchased a XL about a month ago, if I had known then what I know now, I would have gone with the large. I have used 2.5 bags of the 20 lb. BGE Lump, at $25.00 per bag here, it is too expensive and I haven't cooked all that much. I still like it, but haven't done any long time cooks other than some ribs and the temp control wasn't too bad. I bought this because my last gas grill I purchased was 1 size too small and I didn't want to make the same mistake. I didn't know about the stacking ability of the Large and only thought 1 dimmensional. Now I would buy the large and maybe a medium, probably not much more money but much more flexibility.[p]
  • okienewby,[p]10lbs...[p]I have used a lot of lump and I just did ribs for 5 hours...and then fatties for 4 hours...[p]I started with a full firebox...and I still have plenty
    of lump left.[p]I have also cooked butts for 26+ hours and still have some left.