Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hard Lighting

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple of weeks ago, I bought the large BGE. We have been delighted with it so far, but I have a question for you experts.[p]When I am done cooking, per the manual, I shut down the draft door and put the ceramic dome back on top. The fire goes out pretty quickly, I suppose, because there is left over lump I can use for my next cook. The problem is, I am having difficulty lighting that left over lump. I use fire starters. If I add a little new lump, I have no trouble getting a fire going but if I don't I just can't seem to. Is this your experience or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    probe1957,
    Having problems lighting used lump seems odd to me as I have never had that problem. Maybe the fact that I use a Mapp torch is the difference I just don't know. By the way, which way does your fire grate face, concave up or down? It is best if the concave faces down and the smooth side faces up. For some reason the lump seems to get more air that way, at least that is the way it seems to me. Good luck Bucky

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    probe1957,[p]Stir up the used lump to knock off the ash, and compact the mass. Wedge the starter cube into the compacted mass. Should work o.k.[p]gdenby

• Unknown
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,[p]Thanks guys. I will give your suggestions a try. If they don't work, I will break out my weed burner. :)
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,[p]I received this tip about the firegrate last week (Might have been from you Bucky)and since I flipped mine over, I think the air flow is better.