Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seared Tuna with Onion Marmalade

Bobby Que
Bobby Que Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=1317113&a=10430504&p=51264141&Sequence=0&res=high
<p />My wife picked up a 2 pound plus fresh tuna filet from our fish monger today. I got some piment d'esplette from our local Williams-Sonama store yesterday. Here is what we did with them, including a picture.[p]For the onion marmalade:
1/8 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup sherry vinegar (we used Nakano rice wine vinegar)
1/4 cup water
1/2 teasp Kosher salt
1/8 teasp piment d'esplette (a hot paprika like spice that is available at Willims-Sonoma)
1/8 teasp white pepper
1/2 teasp sugar
1/2 teasp Kosher salt
1/2 tablsp olive oil
To make the Onion Marmalade:
Warm 1/8 cup olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until golden brown. Stir in both vinegars, water, salt, pepper,sugar and piment d'espelette. Bring to a slow boil and cook until the liquid is evaporated. set aside.
To cook the tuna:
I got the Egg up to 600 degrees and placed the olive oil and pepper coated tuna filet on direct for 2 minutes on side one, 3 minutes on side two and that was it.
The tuna was served with the Onion Marmalade on the side.
All I can say is wow. Please excuse the length of this post. I think this was better than the Asian seared tuna I have made in the past!!! The piment d'espelette is exotic but can be replaced by very good Hungarian hot paprika or ? Mexican Chile pepper. The hisory of this spice is very interesting, but it would be the topic of another post.
Enjoy.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Bobby Que, Nice pics ,I'm getting hungry again.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Bobby Que,
    Just printed that baby off. Thanks for sharing...I'll give ye and thee a report when I do the cook myself. Gracias amigo!! Big Murth

• Bobby Que,[p]Yep, I printed that dude off too. Looks and sounds fantastic![p]Thanks for the post,
    Kurt

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Bobby Que,[p]Sounds good and excellent picture! Thanks![p]Cornfed
  • Bobby Que,[p]You are killing us!! What a great meal. I could almost taste it when I looked at the picture. Great work -- thanks for sharing it!!!![p]Char Dawg[p]
  • Bobby Que
    View?u=1317113&a=10430504&p=51264148&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Here is a picture of the tuna after we cut into it. [p]Yuuuum!!!!
  • alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Bobby Que,
    I did a small.68 pound chunk of ahi.
    Used that 30 minute marinade so popular in the stores..Pineapple Teraiki marinade I think..addd some minced garlic and coated a little fresh cracked pepper
    and seared it for 5 minutes a side..
    perfect flake and brown for a quarter inch with nice red in the middle[p] Added on top of mixed greens (sure to have dill and cliantro in it).[p] On top of the greens I used a comon brand of Ramen that had peas and other goodies *strained*..it's nice as a buffer between the fish and greens!
    -Toped with some Annies Green Goddess Dressing......[p]IM right there with ya! sorry to be so lengthy[p] your old pal alternity

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Bobby Que,
    I've never Egged Tuna and don't know how at what doneness to cook. In you're pic it allmost looks rare in the middle like I would do my steaks. Do you cook it until it flakes like other fish or to some internal temp like steak? Thanks in advance.
    B D

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Bobby Que,
    DAMNNN it is to early to be this hungry!

• Bobby Que
    Big Daddy,
    The tuna is rare in the middle. Many people including my family like it this way. and, yes, it is cooked like a steak on the Egg.
    It only takes a few minutes per side to get it to come out blue in the middle, and seared with grillmarks on the outside. We use 1.5 to 2 inch cuts if tuna. The timing I gave was for a 2 inch piece cooked at a beginning temp of 600 degrees. Overcooked tuna might just as well have come from a can IMHO.
    Good luck.