Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Seared Tuna with Onion Marmalade

Bobby QueBobby Que Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=1317113&a=10430504&p=51264141&Sequence=0&res=high
<p />My wife picked up a 2 pound plus fresh tuna filet from our fish monger today. I got some piment d'esplette from our local Williams-Sonama store yesterday. Here is what we did with them, including a picture.[p]For the onion marmalade:
1/8 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup sherry vinegar (we used Nakano rice wine vinegar)
1/4 cup water
1/2 teasp Kosher salt
1/8 teasp piment d'esplette (a hot paprika like spice that is available at Willims-Sonoma)
1/8 teasp white pepper
1/2 teasp sugar
1/2 teasp Kosher salt
1/2 tablsp olive oil
To make the Onion Marmalade:
Warm 1/8 cup olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until golden brown. Stir in both vinegars, water, salt, pepper,sugar and piment d'espelette. Bring to a slow boil and cook until the liquid is evaporated. set aside.
To cook the tuna:
I got the Egg up to 600 degrees and placed the olive oil and pepper coated tuna filet on direct for 2 minutes on side one, 3 minutes on side two and that was it.
The tuna was served with the Onion Marmalade on the side.
All I can say is wow. Please excuse the length of this post. I think this was better than the Asian seared tuna I have made in the past!!! The piment d'espelette is exotic but can be replaced by very good Hungarian hot paprika or ? Mexican Chile pepper. The hisory of this spice is very interesting, but it would be the topic of another post.
Enjoy.

Comments