Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket bomb(ed)!!???

fontzmark
fontzmark Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This morning at 8:oo I put a brisket on that had marinated since Saturday afternoon. This is the third brisket to see Ms. Piggy, hopefully Kermit will join the family soon. I wanted to try a low and slow without the daisy wheel, so I had what I thought was a stable temperature of 250* so I left, upon returning Ms. Piggy was churning away at 425*, this was at 11:15, popped the lid and the brisket really looked great, the marinade had carmalized and it was a beautiful, deep, smokey reddish color. I did my best to bring the temp down by adding a busted pizza stone and filling the drip pan with water, I got it down to about 325* and falling and just said the heck with it and let it "dwell" until about 1:30, this was a trimmed and smaller brisket about 5.5 pounds, the end did get a little dry, just a bit of it, I just pulled it off and ate it right away, the rest of the brisket was really, really good, probably the best one I have made, just goes to show how user friendly brisket and the egg are are. I could not believe the brisket was still moist and tender, I think after years of being a pulled pork fan that I would have to admit after a couple of briskets on the egg that if given the choice I would go for the brisket first, p.p. would be up there too, but man is a good brisket hard to beat.
and, Sprinter if you are out there, made the trip to your neck of the woods sat. morning for some lump charcoal, bought five bags and am very happy with it, thanks for the lead, and let us know about Eggfest Midwest, somewhere over by you on the lake would be a great spot!!!
~~~~~~~Beef eaters unite, Brisket rules!!!~~~~~~~~

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    fontzmark,[p]I've never done a brisket, but I do low and slow on other meats fairly regularly. I can't imagine how I could a temp at 250 or under without the daisy wheel. Even with the daisy wheel, it's been hard lately because i burned up one side of my gaskets again.
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    fontzmark,[p]Glad to see that you got some. I was kind of upset, went to get a couple of bags myself on Saturday and they have raised the price to about $9.25? a bag. Still a pretty good deal from what I've heard of others paying but not nearly the $6.50 a bag that I was paying. You missed those prices by about 4 weeks cause last time I bought a couple of bags I was still paying $6.50. Oh well, such is life I guess. I was actually at Anchor this weekend myself hauling some bulk mulch for the yard. I spend a LOT of money there. For Christmas I got a gift certificate there if that tells you anything. I'm a GOOD customer.[p]Still pondering, cussing, and discussing the midwest eggfest thing. Hopefully something will take shape here shortly. I'll be sure to keep everyone informed as things start to gel a bit.[p]Brisket sounds good, and you're right, they are hard to beat. I have one in the freezer that I plan on doing soon. All this talk of brisket lately makes me hungry for one. Tonight is pork loin chops (loin cut into chops or steaks). Been in the sauce for 2 days, should be winners.[p]Troy
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    char buddy ,[p]For a long time I didn't use any top. Choking a fire through the exhaust was always a no-no, unless you liked creosote. This comes from the wood & char wood burning days in a metal cooker. I do have a daisy/slide top, but seldom use it. As far as fire control and holding temps without a top, it just takes practice. There are a few of us that don't use a top, but it is nothing more than personal preference. [p]Zip