Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building cart Question

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the thickness of the slate stones that go under an egg?[p]Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    duckegg,
    Typically, they are about 1 inch thick, but slate is funky stuff unless you get a perfectly cut piece. Be aware that every sheet of slate that I have put under my large egg has cracked, once rather violently. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    duckegg,
    I don't know about "slate" but most people use concrete stepping stones and they can vary from 1.5" to 2+ in thickness and vary in dimensions and shapes as well. Why not buy what you plan to use and go from there? I wanted to use ones that were made of red colored concrete and I found those happened to be a slighty larger size so again I guess buy them(it)first.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BBQ Eggstremist
    Options
    duckegg,
    I use the 2" red stones also. But you might consider using fire bricks if your placing your stones over a wood surface. You can get them at any Menards, if they have them where you are.

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    RRP,
    really... i don't think you want to use slate under the egg unless you are doing some very elaborate outdoor style kitchen. slate is a very brittle stone when loose. best to use some sort of concrete paver if you just need a riser and heat barrier.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    duckegg,
    When I built my first outdoor cooking center I just used cedar 2"X4"s with a half inch space between them. Then I set the Egg on the ceramic feet directly on the boards. I cooked on it that way for 8 years and never once had a problem. When I took the center apart four months ago I removed the boards and there wasn't even a hint of scorching. I'm convinced that the ceramic feet provide sufficient air space to insulate the area under the Egg. [p]Just my 6.3¢ worth (adjusted for inflation).[p]Spring “Full Of Cool Air” Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• duckegg
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    And I got the idea for using slate from your website, might be time for another recall, . . . just kidding.[p]

• duckegg
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Heat does rise! I have some fire brick splits out back I guess i will use them and maybe the egg feet for that little extra margin of safety.[p]Thanks all[p]Duck "Thermally challenged"egg

• Unknown
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I also use a grey "cinder block" style concrete paver. It's about 16 x 16 inch. Works great.[p]If you really wanted a "slate" look, be aware that slate chips and splits very easily. Most "slate" floors are actually bluestone. So you might go with a bluestone paver, if you can find them.[p]If you're building a cart, like I plan on doing eventually, ask yourself if you really care about what's under the Egg. I'm going to continue to use the concrete stepping stone to set the egg on, but I'm going to recess a big 18x18 piece of marble or granite into the top of the table for a working area.