Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scorched Pizza!

Options
Coach Foerster
Coach Foerster Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought fresh dough, all the finest cheeses and toppings and put on a tin pizza tray. Directions said to cook for 35 minutes at 450 degress. I maintained that temperature throughout the 35 minutes and when I opened the egg to view my experiment it was ALL BLACK and folded like a calzone. What went wrong?

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    coachfoerster,[p]I usually cook thick-crust pizzas at 425 for 15-20 minutes on a pizza stone in the oven. Cooking on the BGE should be comparable. 35 minutes at 450 sounds like far too long. I think the recipe was plain wrong.[p]-Kevin
  • Coach Foerster
    Options
    KevinH,
    Thanks. I told me wife we needed a pizza stone to do this. I guess it the next eggcessory. What is a plate setter and what does it do?

• KS Cheryl
    KS Cheryl Posts: 71
    Options
    coachfoerster,
    Were you using a plate setter, legs down with pizza stone on top? Keep an eye on it. I check through the top when I'm cooking pizza. Cheryl

• Coach Foerster
    Options
    KS Cheryl,
    I used a store tin pizza tray like a dummy. I am going to buy a plate setter and pizza stone.

• KS Cheryl
    KS Cheryl Posts: 71
    Options
    coachfoerster,
    Great idea! I don't know what I would do without my plate setter. I need that to do low and slows and to bake bread and pizzas. Cheryl

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    coachfoerster,[p]The plate setter is a ceramic device used to fire ceramic plates in a kiln. It also happens to be perfect for a number of things cooking on a BGE. However, my original comment still applies: 35 minutes at 450 is MUCH too long.[p]Check out this site for a primer on BGE techniques and accessories:
    www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    623f6422.jpg
    <p />coachfoerster,[p]Here is a visual on the set-up for pizza. If you are going shopping for a plate setter and stone, do yourself a favor and invest another $.93 on a disposable pizza screen. Think of it as training wheels for pizza makers. It keeps the dough off the stone and almost insures no burnt crust. After you get the hang of cooking 4 or 5 and getting everything else dialed in, you can start cooking right on the stone.[p]
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BBQ Eggstremist
    Options
    thirdeye,
    That pizza looks delicious!
    coachfoerster,
    You could try using corn meal on the stone also. The crust will get nice and crispy but not burnt. I cheated the other day and bought a take-n-bake from Papa Murphy's (rest. chain). It turned out great on my pizza stone and setter. Don't leave it on so long as others have suggested. I did mine for about 15 minutes at 450 or so.

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    coachfoerster,
    My best guess?
    Lose the pizza tray.
    Maybe screen.
    Did youy use platesetter and stone?
    I imagine a direct grid cook on a tin tray has "SCORCH" written all over it.[p]Sorry,
    Peter

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    coachfoerster,
    Platesetter, too![p]Peter

• Coach Foerster
    Options
    omba,
    Nope-just a tin pan on the grate like a dummy.

• JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    coachfoerster,
    If the stone is nice and hot 8-10 minutes for a pizza is about the right time to take a peak at it. Use the pizza peel to lift up the bottom a bit and check it. It should be golden brown with maybe a few black spots. The cheese should be all melted and bubbly too.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Cheesehead,
    I used to do that but when we do pizzas we cook 4-6 or so. The corn meal eventually burns. I started using kosher salt as my "grit" to lubricate the pizza on the stone.