Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How would YOU cook this ribeye?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
P6030056.jpg
<p />I've cooked many amazing ribeyes on my Egg, and now I got a hold of this monster. 36 oz, 2 1/2 thick, bone in. How would YOU cook this? Dome temp, both with lid open and with the lid closed after flipping? Time of cooking? Rub, or salt/pepper/oil?[p]Just curious. If there's any cut I don't want to screw up, it's this one. Thanks!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Dr Jeff,[p] Hot Tub till my Small was up to 600 degs and my large was at 400. 90 secs per side dome closed in the small. Quick transfer to the large for the roast. Not long I like my steak raw :)[p] Ohhh yes heavily coated with Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks.[p]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Dr Jeff,[p]Out west, those are called chops because of the extended rib bone. The presentation is wonderful. I've seen them that thick in person at Ruth's Chris, but not on my plate. LOL Cooking one that thick is out of my league. But there are some true steak lovers here that will chime in....I hope you are not ready to throw it on the pit right this minute are you?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Celtic Wolf,[p]dang, I've think you've got it!
    that sounds like one wonderful recipe for an awesome rare/mr steak. And the picture says it all.[p]HS

• thirdeye,[p]Tomorrow after I get home from work, allowing it to get to room temp to allow it to cook evenly. Shooting, of course, for medium rare.

• thirdeye
    9b42260f.jpg
    <p />Celtic Wolf,[p]Good call. I have hot tubbed a whole tri-tip (still not that thick) with wonderful results. Is this rare enough?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    thirdeye,[p] Nope :)[p]
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I agree, it's not bleeding enough :)[p]HS
  • thirdeye
    Celtic Wolf,[p]They don't call you wolf for nuttin'.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Cuts like this are becoming incredibly popular in the top-tier steakhouses in the South and most market them as the Cowboy Cut. I usually see them around 24 oz.[p]I personally would brush with EVOO then dust it with kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, and fresh cracked black pepper.[p]To get it to medium rare I would take my egg up as high as I can get it and go about 3 minutes per side then shut the vents for about 4 more minutes. Keep in mind I prefer my steaks in more of a Pittsburgh style - charred and crunchy on the outside and rare on the inside. I think an internal temp of 135 is where you would want to be.[p]I do a lot of bone-in ribeyes and usually end up gnawing the bone like a dog on the front porch in the evening.[p]Good luck![p]Fidel
  • thirdeye
    Fidel,[p]My buddies from the 'berg call those black & blue. They are mostly blue collar guys in the steel industry. They claimed the name came out of the mills where workers cooked beefsteak on steel plates heated from some of the equipment.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    thirdeye,[p]makes sense....
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Dr Jeff,[p]You got some smart-arse replies and a couple of serious ones - hope you can tell them apart.[p]But I'd try a reverse TRex. At that thickness I'd roast it like a prime rib - indirect if possible but at least on a raised grid at maybe 350 dome temp - until it was a bit over 100 or 110 internally. Then I'd lower the grid, open the vents to get the temps up to 650 and sear it for 90 seconds on each side. Let it rest for ten minutes and it'll be perfectly medium rare.[p]The seasoning is up to you.
  • thirdeye
    Dr Jeff,[p]The hot tub method has some serious merit. Are you familiar with this technique?[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Dr Jeff,[p]Listen to Haggis. He is very smart. I would do exactly what he suggested and our spice of choice is Kosher Salt with a lot of DP Raising the Steaks over thin coating of EVOO.[p]Kinger

• thirdeye
    Haggis,[p]I like your idea too. That cut is roast-like for sure.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Dr Jeff,[p]I also agree with Haggis. Be sure to get your egg stabilized. I cook big steaks often and I do a Trex for 22-26oz Porterhouses. One thing I do is to let the egg stabilize @ around 350 - 400 for about 30 minutes prior to kicking the temp up. This has kept my hot spots at a minimum. I would stay simple here, olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper (keep it coarse). I love DP Raising the Steaks but occasionally have had Raising the Steaks burn with super hot fires.
  • thirdeye,[p]Sorry, not familiar with the hot tub technique, nor the TRex reference on an earlier post.
  • thirdeye
    Dr Jeff,[p]Well then, you have some exploring to do. [p]The T-Rex method involves a high temp sear/short cook followed by a rest off of the cooker, then a return for the finish. One of the places this method lives is on TNW's site. Follow the link. [p]The method nicknamed "hot tub" (on the BGE Forum) was written up by Cooks Illustrated primarily for cooking London broil, but is very effective on other cuts. It involves seasoning your meat, a little heavy on the salt, and sealing it in a waterproof plastic bag. I like to use a vacuum bag because I like to add some fresh herbs or crushed garlic and I feel the pressure helps drive the flavors into the meat. Anyway, after sealing, the bag is submerged into 100° water for one hour. (in your case, maybe 1-1/2 hours would be better). This slowly elevates the temperature of the steak to 80°-85°. When the steak goes to the grill you are only working on the final 35° or 40° to get it up to medium rare, or your personal level of doneness. The level of doneness is very even across the cross section of the steak. Be advised hat the cook time is very short when using this method. An advantage to this method is that you are actually getting the meat temp above "room temperature" in a shorter and more controlled period of time. The length of time required for this technique also falls well under the 40°/140°/4 hour window of food safety practices.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]T-Rex[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Dr Jeff,[p]I'm just a lurker here, but I've used this recipe many times. This is EGGXACTLY how I'd cook that beast![p]Rod

[ul][li]Steak Gaucho Style w/Chimichurri Sauce[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    thirdeye,
    good call on the hot tub recommendation. that thick, "room temp" would take a few hours!
    and even then, there's a big difference between a 65 degree internal and a 100, which is usually where i find my steaks after tubbing.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    stike,[p]Celtic Wolfe actually mentioned that earlier and I agree with both of you, it might be worth looking at for this steak.[p]Its funny, that phrase "set out for one hour and let come to room temperature" is one of the things I call a "Betty Crocker Style". Meaning that has been repeated so many times, for so long, folks think it is the gospel. The few times I have brought something out on the counter for an hour and actually measured the internal, I'm lucky if it rises to the 50's.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    thirdeye,
    "searing locks in juices" is another one. total crizzap.[p]i left a steak out like you said, and took the internal after a couple hours. it was 55 or so.[p]hot tub is the way to go if you are a fan of warming up a steak before a cook.[p]daMN. NOW I'M HUNGRY
    (...ooops, caps-lock bungle)

• stike
    Haggis,
    which were the smart-assed ones?