Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella -- 1st try

Options
Buckgeis
Buckgeis Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a 14 inch paella pan from paellapans.com, which is the larges that will fit in the large egg since the handles, at the level they are placed come out to the edge of the egg. In fact, I had to handle the pan by the sides with gloves. The Spanish ingredients can be found at a number of places on the web if you do a search. I have no favorite at this point.[p]I did the whole thing (except for heating the stock) on the egg. This is not a very good idea because each time you lift the lid to stir, there is a pretty big temperature drop. Perhaps some of you more experienced eggheads can provide an efficient means of sauteing and boiling down the stock, but I was quite inefficient.[p]Next time I plan to start the dish in the kitchen and finish it in the egg at something like 450 degrees for as long as I think I can get away with it (at least 15 minutes). The reason is to enhance the the possibility of getting the carmelized crust at the bottom, a delicacy called soccorat. As it was I got a tiny bit and it was amazingly good.[p]Recipe (for next try):[p]Saute:
1/4 pound of chorizo (I use Spanish, but Mexican might be okay), cut into small pieces for one minute in
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
Add:
1 chopped small onion.
1 chopped red bell pepper
3 cloves of minced garlic
and saute until the pepper goes a bit soft.
Add:
1 1/2 Arborio short grain rice (must be Italian or Spanish short grain) and stir to make sure that the rice coated with oil. Maybe a minute or two.
Add:
3 cups of very hot stock infused with a pinch of saffron and 2 tsps of Spanish paprika (I used picante -- you could add a bit of cayene to a mild paprika)
1/2 lb. of Serrano ham (or other high quality, very tasty ham, cut into small pieces.
1/4 cup of Euro-type green olives, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup of Euro-type black olives, pitted and chopped
1/2 pound of green beens. What veggie you use is up to you. You could use a bit more than this.[p]While stirring, boil down the stock until the dish is no longer soupy but is still wet enough for the rice to continue to cook. At that point, put it in a 450 degree big egg for something on the order of 15 minutes. Stretch it as far as you think you can get away with it. Toss a bit of wood on the fire before putting the pan in the egg if the charcoal has stopped smoking.[p]Take the pan out of the egg and cover it for ten minutes.[p]Enjoy.[p]I am embarassed to say that while you could serve four with this easily, so long as you had salad and bread or a couple of tapas dishes, my wife and I ATE THE WHOLE THING. I guaaarrraaannnteee that you will never eat anything more tasty than this.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Buckgeis, I think I need a new kitchen gadget.(paella pan) Thanks for the report,sounds good.
    Painter

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Buckgeis,
    Sounds good as far as it goes, but where is the chicken? Where is the shellfish (clams, mussels, and/or shrimp)? The old style paella was done on an open fire; no need to keep opening and closing the egg. We plan to try it on a medium with a 10 inch pan.
    Have fun,
    Marvin

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Buckgeis,[p] Thanks for the report. I wouldn't be too concerned about the temperature drop each time you open the BGE. Shouldn't realy take too long the give a quick stir, then shut the lid. Don't really think it's necessary to stir while the stock boils -- I'd even think you wouldn't want to (the recipes at paellapans.com tell you not to) because the stirring will work against your socarrat forming. Just some thoughts -- I still haven't gotten around to tryin' it! Keep us posted.[p]MikeO
  • Buckgeis
    Options
    Marvin,[p]Paella comes in all shapes and sizes and ingredients. Purists are opposed to what are called mixed paellas with a smorgasboard of ingredients. I am going for shellfish next, however and will mix them up a bit. I added chicken with the recipe given above in a much larger paella I did in a bigger nonpaella pan in the kitchen.[p]
  • Buckgeis
    Options
    MikeO,[p]I may give it another go with much higher starting temps. Might also help to warm the egg up. One problem with standing over it stirring is that you get more smoked than the paella. Most recipies call for stirring. If you didn't and did it in the Egg, then the top kernels of rice might be as hard as nails. Your point about the socarrat is worth considering, however. Maybe stop the stirring a bit earlier, contrary to my source -- Penelope Casas's book (if my memory serves.)

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Buckgeis,
    Maybe I should take lessons from you.
    Regards,
    Marvin