Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled beef chuck roast (with pics)

Options
KevinH
KevinH Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pulled Beef -- June 2, 2007[p]After reading a number of posts on the site, I decided a couple of days ago to try pulled beef when I had a good chance. By provenance, I found a 2.77 lb. choice chuck roast (boneless) on sale for 2.99/lb. at Publix Friday night. A good start so far.[p]Around noon, I took the roast out of the fridge and started preparation. The beer is for the cook, not the beef.[p]pic001.jpg

[p]I sliced two garlic cloves into slivers and stuffed into the chuck roast. Then I rubbed a mixture of chili powder, freshly ground black pepper, kosher salt, dried thyme, and a little onion powder on both sides of the roast. Next, I rubbed it with olive oil. Then it was back into the fridge for a few minutes while I got the large BGE ready.[p]I cleaned out the fire box and added about 5 lbs of B&B hardwood lump. It’s really good, dense lump charcoal for a cheap price at Wally World -- when you can get it. After lighting the fire starter and getting the lump going well, I spread out the coals and added two small chunks of hickory (down to the bottom of the bag, or I might have used more). My setup was a plate setter, with a drip pan and Tom’s excellent stainless steel grid on top. Once the temp stabilized at 250 degrees dome temp, I put the meat on the egg. You can see the remote thermometer sticking out of the roast. I’m shooting for an internal temp of 195-200 degrees, but I will begin using the fork test at 180 degrees.[p]pic002.jpg

[p]The meat reached a plateau around 147 degrees after about 2 hours. Now, I had to be patient. A gin & bitter lemon was in order. Mmmm.[p]Once the meat finally broke out of the plateau, I ramped the temperature up to 300 degrees. After a total of 8 hours, the roast finally reached 180 degrees. I was surprised that it took so long. It wasn’t quite fork tender, but I was starving and it was getting pretty late. (picture taken before it got dark, but this is about what it looked like at the end)[p]pic003.jpg

[p]I pulled the beef using a couple of forks (and my fingers once it cooled) and tossed with a little BBQ sauce. This is what it looked like:[p]pic004.jpg

[p]It probably needed to cook a little longer to become more tender, but the flavor was pretty good. It also went well with my eggs at breakfast this morning. Pulled beef was a worthy experiment for a change of pace, but I think pulled pork is just as good and much cheaper.[p]-Kevin

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    KevinH,[p]I've tried pulled beef a couple of times, doing much the same thing as you did. I too was amazed at how long it took to finish, and have always eaten it before it was really done. There's an alternative way described by ClayQ, that uses a Dutch oven at the end to get the meat up above 200. If/when I try pulled beef again, I'll at least try foiling it to finish.[p]And the Spaten Optimator made it taste that much better, I'm sure![p]gdenby

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    gdenby,[p]ClayQ's recipe was one of those that I read before starting this project. I decided that it was just more complicated / more work that I wanted to deal with. Maybe that level of commitment is what's required to obtain the desired result.[p]Maybe next time the chuck roasts go on sale, I will try it. I wouldn't have minded having a bone-in chuck roast, because I think the bone helps the flavor and texture of the cook. However, at $2.99/lb. for boneless choice it was too good to pass up. Maybe if I could find bone-in for a reasonable price next time ...