Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is a pork roast the same as a pork picnic? I am cooking a picnic. In my previous messages I stated pork roast was I incorrect. Do I not know my pig?

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    View?u=141579&a=9609961&p=47370802
    <p />Thomas,[p] The pork shoulder comes in two pieces -- the Boston Butt and the picnic roast. The roasts in the picture are picnic roasts. Grocery store here sells both butts and picninc roasts, but the picnics are $1 a pound cheaper so I use them instead of the butts.[p]MikeO
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    MikeO,
    In you photo it's hard to tell if you have a drip pan. Do you just let the dripping fall on the foil covered plate setter/firebricks?[p]Carey

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Sundown,[p] There's a drip pan under there. Actually, it is a "Brinkman Smoker Basket" that I lined with foil. Fits inside the upside-down plate setter perfectly.[p]MikeO
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I'm doing one right now, for a party that starts around noon tomorrow. I usually use Boston Butt for pulled pork, but the grocery store didn't have one. So I got a 6 lb picnic, at about .98 a lb. Last night I scored the outer skin in a diamond pattern, and I rubbed it with mustard and JJ's rub. I put it on about an hour ago. The grill temp is around 250, and I'm using hickory and pecan. I have it on a roasting rack, sitting on a foil drip pan (no fire bricks or other heat deflectors). [p]I'll probably take it off around 11:00 or 11:30 tomorrow morning, Put it in a clean foil pan, wrap it in foil and pull it at my friend's party.