Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a SMALL bit of info.

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need a little info from you small BGE operators. I just got a small for my son,it's still packaged up,so I'm unable to check out cooking area to know what sort of goodies can be used as acessories(sp).I have a 10 1/2" grill,chicken setter,grill lifter,2 1/2" stem thermometer,ash tool. Will the v rack fit?,the small pizza stone looks a little big,I can cut down some fire brick,but don't know what size to make them.Will appreciate any and all ideas.Thanks in advance. Bob

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bamabob,
    I made a extra grid for my small egg,I used a 14 1/2"weber grid from Home Depot and 4-3 1/2"x5/16" stainless steel carriage bolts for the legs.Now the small cooks more like the large and i have twice as much cooking space.
    Larry

[ul][li]Extra Grid for the Small Egg[/ul]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Bamabob,[p]The V Rack will not fit into the small. For indirect heat, I use an 8" ceramic stone with some spacers.[p]I have an additional fire ring that is used to raise the grill. However, using the second fire ring does not give the additional cooking surface that Larry's carriage bolt solution provides. Go the carriage bolt route - it's more effective and much cheaper.[p]Hope to see you in October,[p]Puj
  • Puj
    Options
    Larry,[p]Did you type the diameter of the extra grid (14½") incorrectly? It's 18½" in diameter, right?[p]Puj
  • YB
    Options
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />Puj,
    Good morning Marc,
    The 14" weber grid is for the small egg and the 18-1/2" is for the large egg.I don't about the medium egg because i don't have one.Here is a picture of the small,it fits good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Small grate detail[/ul]
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Puj, He's correct at 14 1/2. Large is 18in. Just modified my small yesterday with the stainless steel bolts. Works great
    Painter

• Puj
    Options
    Painter,[p]I stand corrected. So much for my math skills this morning.[p]Thanks Painter, and sorry Larry. :)[p]Puj
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    YB,Thanks for the tips. Going to do same with large to give more space than the fire bricks on edge for large birds and such. Just enough clearance for drip pan for indirect cooking.
    Good Day to You........Painter[p]

• YB
    Options
    Painter,
    Your welcome.I also made a extra grid for my mini egg,it really helps you get further from the fire.
    Larry