Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get crisp skin on chicken???

Gene613
Gene613 Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am eggin some chicken legs tonight and want the skin crispy how to I achive this goal? It seems every time I cook chicken on the egg the skin NEVER gets crispy. Whats the secret??? Thanks!!!

Comments

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Gene613,[p]You can ensure it by starting at 425 dome and flipping a few times to start. I always cook em at 350 and they come out nice n crispy. Below that is where ya run into problems unless ya leave em on there for long. [p](I've bout burnt up some wings at 275 for too long)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    drstcks2.jpg
    <p />Gene613,
    I soak mine in buttermilk then add seasonings.[p]Mike

• Gene613
    EGGOMANIAC,
    Thats what I usually cook them at between 350 and 400 and the skin never seems to get crisp its always soft. Do I need to use my plate setter?

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Gene613,[p]Odd. But thinking about CWM's post... I usually use a little seasoning/rub too. You can also brush em with a thin coat of EVOO that will definitely work. [p]I get it crisp direct or with a platesetter.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    5bbea568.jpg
    <p />Gene613,[p]For thighs, legs and wings I cook direct with a raised grate. My temps are 250° at the grate (280° or so dome). thighs take around 2 or 2-1/2 hours. I suppose ramping up the pit temp toward the end would make them more crispy, but I have never found that necessary. [p]06def4d1.jpg[p]If I baste, I wait until they have cooked for an hour or so. Oh yeah, I add oil or butter to the baste too.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Gene613
    EGGOMANIAC,
    I will try brushing them with EVOO before I put them on. Usually I marinate them or BBQ them towards the end. I will try just EVOO and some rub tonight and see what happens.

• I think doing it direct is key. Also, brush/coat the chicken with a couple tablespoons of oil, preferably peanut oil then sprinkle some rub on the oil. The oil will help you crisp up and it will help affix the rub. I like to soak my chicken (thighs, legs, or separated wings) in vinegar with some salt or seasoned salt for a while too. DO NOT use the plate setter.
  • Gene613,[p]I always sprinkle a light dusting of corn starch on my chicken....along with and other rubs. Just be careful that you don't get much under the legs and wings......it's get gummy. This makes the skin very crunchy! Paul

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Car Wash Mike,
    Buttermilk eh? Never heard of that before. I've heard of soaking fish fillets in milk but I'm not even sure why they say to do that. What does the buttermilk do for the chicken?[p]John

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Gene613,
    I cooked leg quarters last night and the skin was great. A litle oil, DP Tsunami Spin or whatever. Raised grid with drippan, no platesetter at 450 for the whole cook. Skin side up for about an hour flip once till they are done. I find that eyballing is the best way to get great skin.[p]Good luck!