Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing Fire ring

Options
Carbonizer
Carbonizer Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there any problem with removing the fire ring in order to gain some verticle space to stack racks of Salmon to smoke. My target temp is 180-200 deg. I have a plate setter and I figured on placing that on the firebox, grate on top of that than pans of fish.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Carbonizer, no problem other than that you are limiting the amount of lump you can get in. If you're only talking about 6 hours or less at 180-200 you should be ok. If not, then I'm sure you'll have some choice comments when you have to unload everything to put more lump on.

• Carbonizer
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks for the advise. I loaded up to / a little above the fire box, hoping for 8 hr. at 180. If I need to add later
    my hands should be only a little burnt right?

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Carbonizer,[p] What size egg you got? If it's a large you'll get a whole lot more then 8 hours..
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I've got a medium (and a mini), lobbying for a large. Sunday have 15 in-laws coming. Trying to get fresh Coho smoked before the real cookin begins for Sunday.
    It's holding 180 right now and for the last hour, late nite here. Help me please --face towards Chicago and think-- LARGE LARGE LARGE LARGE for Carbonizer.