Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

update on not having a talent for this

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks. I read through all the suggestions that everybody posted, and began to get the idea that maybe I needed to change the way I light the coals to start with. I've usually kept the lid open while waiting for coals to fire up at first. The result has been a lot of coals lit up and an unstable fire.[p]I've now tried one cook where I only got a few coals lit, then closed the lid (still well below 175 degrees) and waited for the fire to really get going on its own without opening the dome. It took almost 30 minutes to finally climb above 250. But finally I was able to hold the temp right at 350 for a while, and then right at 425 for a while, so I felt like I had good control.[p]To make sure I'm learning properly here, would you agree or disagree with these statements:[p]1. It is best to get as FEW coals lit as needed in order to get to the temp you want. Too many coals lit leads to an instant inferno when you open the lid. Fewer coals lit gives you more time with the lid open (to deal with food) before things get out of hand.[p]2. When you do add food to the egg, the dome temp will drop considerably, and stay down for quite a while. It's best to ... what? leave the vent where it is? open it wider?[p]3. The higher the temperature is, the faster things will start to get out of hand as you open the lid. For example, if you're holding at 425 then you can only leave the lid open so long before it starts to climb toward 500 ... if you're holding at 325 you have more time.[p]

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    rellis,[p]1. Yes[p]2. Close the lid and walk away..[p]3. Not really true.[p]I am still willing to come to you and guide you..
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I'll give you a call this weekend, I wrote down your number.[p]If you can't make it out my way then I may be able to come yours. They're all eggs!

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    rellis,[p] This is true.. :D[p] I will be in Virginia Saturday picking up another load of lump from my distributor, but I am free all day Sunday

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    rellis,
    I usually light one or two starter cubes on top of the lump and then put a few small pieces on top of the cubes after lighting them. I leave my dome open for about 10 to 15 min. (don't walk away as you may forget and then have a 700 degree blaze going) After I see the lump is going I close the dome, lower vent wide open, the daisy wheel off.[p]I keep a close eye on the thermometer till it starts to climb and then put the daisy wheel top on and adjust the lower vent and daisy wheel as I get close to my target temp.[p]Good Luck,
    Bordello

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    rellis,[p]On #2, usually, leave the vents where they are. When you open the dome, the heat around the thermometer drops, but the coals get a big boost of oxygen. If you open the vents more, you'll boost the fire even more and your temp will stabilize at a higher temp. One exception is if you put a huge amount of meat on, and it really cools down the Egg. Then you need to feed the fire a more till the meat heats up.[p]gdenby

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    rellis,[p] Thirty minutes seems long to get to temp. Is the opening in the firebox aligned with the lower vent?[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    rellis,[p]1. If old lump is in there, stir up so ash falls through grate. (checking to make sure vent holes aren't clogged)[p]2. dump more lump in[p]3. dig out a little divit in the center of the lump[p]4. drop a lit cube in there[p]5. pile some lump on top of the lit cube. [p]6. close lid (remember nothing on top vent and bottom completely open , no screen , no nothing) [p]7. keep an eye on it as if you forget and comeback in 20 minutes you will have 700 plus degrees going. [p]I have done this hundreds of times, very casual , nothing special ..just light the cube, drop in, pile lump on top, close lid, leave alone until temp is reached. Hope this helps.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • All over the map
    Options
    rellis,[p]Best tip I ever got was opening the little screen right up during the fire starting stage. It really blocks air flow. I also get rid of the top too. When it hits about 300 I put on the daisy wheel and close up the vent to what I need. [p]I use a chimney starter so I fill up the Egg with lump, then I pour the coals on top and shut the lid. Usually up to 400 or so within 10 minutes. If you want a hotter cook (I do 600-700 for Italian thin crust pizza), you can get a good load of coals going on the bottom of the egg and pour the unlit lump on top (so it burns from the bottom up). Good luck![p]aotm[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Hope it isn't all spoken for, if you're dealing WGC. I'm running low.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    rellis,[p] Call me..