Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Upscale Egg Meal

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am so full that I can barely type. That was one fine meal. I could not even wait for tomorrow to post it.
The all three of the kids are at Grandma's, so I decided to make a nice meal for the wife and I. [p]The squid was just a normal squid, about four inches in length without tentacles. My plans for the squid went by the wayside and I had to improvise. My Thai Curry Spice Paste was now a science project.[p]Here is the meal in its entirety. Keep in mind that everything that I made was fundamentally simple and everything took me just about one hour from start to table. Here is how I cooked it, in order.[p]Pull steak, shrimp and squid out of the refrigerator.
Rinse the squid and cut into three four-inch strips. Place in a small bowl.
To the squid add in very small amounts: Kosher Salt, Fresh Ground White Pepper, Turbindo Sugar, Black Sesame Oil, Sesame Seeds and Sambal-Badjak.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
Put the Large Tiger Shrimp with shell in the sink and remove the feet. There were 11 shrimp in a third of a pound.
I then placed the shrimp in a bowl with cold water and Kosher Salt and set aside.
Go fire up the small egg with a double load of lump.
Rinse the Porterhouse steak off and apply Kosher Salt, Fresh Ground Black Pepper and Chef Bachary's Chelesa Blend.[p]After 10 minutes, drain and rinse the shrimp and put back in the bowl with more cold water and Kosher Salt.
Start 10 Bamboo skewers soaking in cold water.
Take a bottle of 1997 Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc out of the cellar and put in refrigerator.
Pull a half-pound of fresh Sugar Snap Peas out of the refrigerator and rinse under cold water.
Put the Wok on the Stove.[p]After 10 minutes, drain and rinse the shrimp and put back in the bowl with just cold water.
Pull some leftover Fettuccini Alfrado out of the refrigerator and place in a bowl and start to nuke to warm up.
Set the table.
Drain and rinse the shrimp and place on two sets of two bamboo skewers. Drizzle with Scallion oil.
Put the Porterhouse on the Egg, humming away at 700.
Thread each slice of Squid on a bamboo skewer. Place on the plate with the shrimp.[p]After 3 minutes, flip the Porterhouse.
Fire up the wok.
Stir the Fettuccini and add a little Half&Half to make it creamy again.
After 3 minutes, cap off the Egg.
Open the wine and pour two glasses.
Quickly stir-fry the Sugar Snap Peas in some Scallion oil.
Put the Peas and Fettuccini on the table.
After 4 minutes retrieve the steak and let Mr. Egg regain temperature back to 500.
Put the Squid and Shrimp on the Egg.[p]Start to eat the meal.
Flip the shrimp and squid after one minute.
My wife only wanted the Filet part of Porterhouse, so that left me with the Strip part. Oh darn.
Retrieve the shrimp and squid from the Egg after another minute.
Eat and Eat and Eat.[p]Everything came out perfect. The squid was just a little chewy with just a hint of chile and the shrimp were perfect. My wife and I were actually able to eat a nice meal in peace and not be exhausted from chasing the kids. [p]The meal was topped of by some bakery fresh Cream Puffs and some Gil's Tiramisu Chocolate Caramels. The wine went perfect with everything including the cream puffs and chocolates.[p]All is good in the world,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, I know everything fell into place perfectly,, but it sounds like you were orchestrating that with split-second precision. I would have probably missed a step or forgot something,, cause I like to pop the cork/s before firing up the coals. Good work my man..

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    rhumandjerk,
    i am sure that something that wonderfull is breaking the law somewhere[p]

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Thank you Sir.
    I think that I could have done it while sipping the fruits as well.[p]The whole key was to keep each dish simple and everything fell into place, that way that there was nothing to forget. It actually took me longer to write it up than to cook it.[p]I think that a nice bowl of Fresh Hot Buttery Popcorn is in order. Other than a small pastrami sandwich, that was the only meal that I had today.[p]Oh yeah, just so that everyone does question me. I really wanted ribs. Ha.[p]And the Old Man was dreaming of Pulled Pork,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Whew,,,,I takes me a hour just to do the first sentence!! Fantastic meal and cook! Congrats..
    C~W[p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    I just remembered that I also added some Dark Soy Sauce to the Squid marinade.
    RhumAndJerk[p]