Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coho report

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, that gorgeous coho salmon turned out somewhere between fair and average. I cut it into Sprinter-style 1.25 inch steaks, and used the same Miso paste recipe as last time. They cooked up nicely, and looked all purty, but tasted just like the masses of farm-raised atlantic salmon you can get anywhere around here. The miso paste recipe is sill wonderful, but the fish just did not have the flavor I was looking for. Must be something about the farm-raised fish.[p]I made the mistake last time of getting Wild Alaskan King Salmon, and I have been spoiled beyond repair. There is no comparison. Wild salmon is incredible. Farm raised...soso. Mabe that is why the wild salmon was $15 pound, and the farm raised Coho $1.98. Dang.[p]Happy Friday. I think I will try TimH's brine/smoke with the remaining half-a-fish.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Sorry to hear that the Salmon was not a big success. Good fresh SEAFOOD is hard to beat. The farm raised stuff is questionable. And I think you're right about the price reflecting the quality of the fish.[p]It will be interesting to see how the Coho smokes up. I've had great success with the dill/salt/sugar method when smoking salmon, comes out great. Hopefully the outcome will keep your spirits up on the fish. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    Thanks Troy. Pretty tough to get my spirits down. Onward-upward...and probably paying more for good wild salmon in the future. I was amazed at the difference. Where is your dill method?? Can I use dried dill?? [p]I will probably prep it tonight to smoke tomorrow. I think I will use Mr. Big today for a nice slab o B-Backs. Firday is a great day for righteous ribs. I think I will do Cat's ribs.[p]Cheers to you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]The dill/sugar/salt method is real easy. Put the salmon fillet skin side down in a dish. Lightly sprinkle it with salt, then sugar, then lightly with dill. Dried dill weed works well or take a sprig of two of fresh and lay it on. Repeat the salt/sugar/dill sprinkles until it looks like the fillet has been "snowed on". Then, cover with plastic wrap for 4-5 hours or overnight (my preferred method). Take out the fish, rinse well and pat dry. Smoke VERY LOW (150) for a couple of hours, then let the temp rise SLOWLY over the next few hours, topping out at no more than 225 or so. Will take about 5-6 hours to smoke a 3 pound fillet. I use cherry wood (imagine that, I LOVE that stuff) to smoke with, have used apple and pear and orange with good luck also.[p]This makes BY FAR the best smoked salmon I've EVER tried and I've tried a lot of different methods. Good luck. I've never brined salmon, TimH's recipe looks promising though. Have brined other fish with great results, salmon has always been done this way for me.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    Just printed your method out, and will try it with filets next time I have them. Since this is half of a whole fish, I think I will try the brine this time! Should be fun.
    Thanks again! Cheerio.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Nature Boy,
    I'm with you ever since cooked some wild salmon I just keep walking by the farm raised tastless stuff! You folks in the Pacific Northwest are truly spoiled![p]Greg