Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long and at what temp. to cook an 11lb Brisket?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fathers Day is coming up and I get to do what I want, which means, in this case, to cook an 11lb Brisket (my 1st on the Egg) for 12 people (who said Father's Day was going to be relaxing!)[p]Anyway, I've looked at various recipes and techniques on the Forum and have a question on temperature vs. time to bring the Brisket to an internal temp. of ~200F.[p]Elder Ward's method claims to cook an 11lb chunk in 7hours using a dome temp. of 275F and (from what I can gather) no drip pan - just the meat on a rack on the grill with fat side up.[p]The Eggfest 2000 Brisket on the other hand uses a dome temp of 250F, a drip pan and suggests you allow 2.5hours per pound. This would put me over 24hours for 11lb. Does 275F vs. 250F make that much difference in cook time?. Or is it the lack of drip pan?[p]I'm leaning toward Elder Ward's method, as I don't fancy getting up in the wee hours to check the temp etc. However I'm worried that with no drip pan, the dripping juices may put out the fire.[p]Maybe 275F with a drip pan?[p]Any comments suggestions would be appreciated.[p]-CaliforniaKiwi

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    CaliforniaKiwi,
    Try this link for some info. Hope it helps.[p]Bordello

[ul][li]Link`[/ul]
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    CaliforniaKiwi,
    I like to think 1-2 hours per pound, drip pan, indirect, fat down, nice rub, good smoke, and 250 dome until it hits 195-200. If it is that big you might have a whole packer. Take the point off at the end of the cook and put back on for burnt ends.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Bordello,[p]What is dripping is Fat not water. It will cause minor flare ups and creat addition smoke from cooking fat. It will also give you more Mr. Brown, Darker cooked meat on the outside which will add more flavor, (my humble opinion). Slow methods work great also I use both but sometimes like you said I neither have nor want to take the time to cook 24 hours. [p]If you got em smoke em[p]EW
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p] WOW he really does exist :) Good to see you posting again.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Yeah but I am leaving town in two hours not back until Monday so if anyone else says Hi. Just know I appreciate it and will catch you later.
    Elder

• River Griller
    Options
    CaliforniaKiwi,[p]I've cooked the low and slow, I've cooked Elder Ward's method and their isn't much difference. I also cooked one this weekend that was 8lbs using an elder ward customized method.
    I put it on fat cap up 1 hr at 350, turned it and cooked 1 hr. using JD wood chips.
    took it off foiled it and dropped temp to just under 300 and cooked for 4 hrs, internal was just over 200. pulled it wrapped another layer of foil, and towels, put in a cooler for an hour and it was great! didn't have a great crust due to the foiling but the meat was very good.