Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey, kids! Make yer own Ricotta for that Calzone recipe!

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
The calzone recipe sounds delicious. So I'll add another little recipe to enhance your Italian culinary pleasure: fresh, homemade ricotta. Here's what you do.[p]Into a large pot (the size you'd use to boil water for pasta), add one gallon whole milk and heat on medium until just frothy, not boiling. Watch carefully to avoid scalding or burning on the bottom; it's better to take longer at a lower temp and stir occasionally than to try rushing it. Using an instant read thermometer, bring the heat up to 180 to 185 degrees. Add about 2 teaspoons salt. When the temperature is reached, remove the pan from the heat, add one-third cup plus one teaspoon white vinegar all at once to the hot milk and stir constantly for one minute. The curds separate from the whey, and you'll have a very unpleasant-looking concoction. Never mind. This is good.[p]Cover the pot with a dish towel and just leave it alone for a while to cool; even if you make this before work and finish it off hours later, it's fine. Line a colander with damp clean cheesecloth and place it in the sink. Gently pour the mixture into the colander. Sometimes I use a wire spoonlike thingie designed to retrieve deep-fried items from the fat (don't know what it's called) and remove the milk solids to the colander instead of pouring. Or use a slotted spoon. Whatever way you choose, the purpose is to drain the ricotta.[p]After draining, squeeze the cheesecloth gently and make the ricotta whatever dryness you prefer. You'll never use the storebought stuff again, I promise. And if you enjoy making desserts with ricotta, add some cream to the milk and cut the salt back a bit. Wow, this is great. This keeps in the fridge covered for about one week, but it's best if used within a couple of days. [p]There is no diet version. And if you're wondering about cutting back on fat by using lowfat or skim milk, don't bother. It's just not worth the effort.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Thanks for the post, sounds awesome. Have you ever tried to add some herbs or other flavorings to the milk during boiling to possibly get some rosemary ricotta or some other flavors? Do the herbs effect the final outcome of the consistency etc? Just a thought. Thanks for the awesome follow up.[p]Troy
  • Gretl
    Options
    sprinter,
    I've never tried adding herbs during the heating. However, herbs added after are great for dips, etc. I have made a killer salad dressing by putting fresh ricotta in a blender and adding a lot of fresh parsley, several cloves of garlic, and anchovies with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper. Whirl away until it's smooth, and taste for other seasonings, adding salt if necessary. And don't be shy about using anchovies.

• Gretl
    Options
    Oops! A little red wine vinegar in that ricotta dressing I posted is good. I just forgot to add it to my post. Sorry!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Gretl,[p] How much ricotta do you get from a gallon of milk?[p]MikeO
  • Gretl
    Options
    MikeO,
    About two pounds; probably around four cups or so. I guess you could cut the recipe but I always have something in mind to use it all up. It doesn't freeze well.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

Bump

Just made some for cannelloni tomorrow

Very tasty and super easy to make

Shane