Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Techniques

Options
Danny C
Danny C Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I haven't cooked anything on my new large Egg (yet), I wanted to get the opinions of the Eggperts. I'm thinking of doing a turkey and wanted to know is it better on the vertical rack or in a v-rack? Maybe a better question is what are the advantages/disavantages of one over the other? I've done them on a v-rack in my small and they were great. Thanks folks![p]DC

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Danny C,
    I've done them both ways and I really can't see that much difference. My wife and daughters seemed to think that the one on the vert. roaster was more moist than the one done on the v-rack but, I couldn't tell the difference. I will say that a little light apple smoke is a must around this homestead![p]Good luck[p]Carey

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    Danny C,
    with the poultry roaster you sometimes run out of room. Eatin is good tho.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Danny C,
    I just put a 24lb.Tom on a V-rack inside a drip pan, sitting on a plate setter -- in my Large. Injected with Cajun spice, rubbed too, and cooking at 325. Over a healthy helping of soaked maple and apple.
    With one that big, it would have to sit down low to go on the vertical. I think you'll do well with however you cook it. I wanted to do low and slow, but realistically, a previous big bird at 325 came out great, with plenty of smoke flavor (but not overpowering), super-moist, and got raves from all the deadbeats that stopped by at Christmas.
    Big Murth in Nuevo Mexico.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Danny C,[p]Both the v-rack and the vertical cooking methods will make equally great turkeys. The only real difference is in the finishing of the skin.[p]A v-rack can provide a very nice skin on the sides and top, but a grey, rubbery skin on the bottom. This can be minimized by spacing the bird 3-4" above the drip pan to provide for good air circulation on the underside of the bird. Cooking on one side and then flipping to the other side half way through the cook works also. Combining both techniques provides the best. The skin will still have some rack marks on it.[p]Cooking the bird vertical provides a very nice skin without catering to the cook, and no marks. The vertical cook allows a smaller drip pan (just large enough for the stand to fit in - pie pan) and thus provides good airflow to all of the bird. Serving from the vertical stand is different, but impressive.[p]Spin
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Big Murth,
    On a bird that size and temp, what do you expect the cook time to be? How much different would the cook time be on a vertical roaster?

• Unknown
    Options
    I have done a half-dozen turkeys over the years and usually just use an aluminum throw-away roasting pan from the grocery store, with a cake rack to keep the bird off the bottom. I get the lowest pan I can find (about 2 inches deep) and with the rack elevating the turkey further it is mostly exposed to the fine fragrant smoke.[p]I also HIGHLY recommend brining. I got a free 5-gallon plastic pail from the bakery counter at the grocery store and fill it with water and add a couple cups of Kosher salt, and let the turkey soak overnight in the refrigerator. Turns out extraordinarily moist and flavorful!