Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You guys that make pizza form scratch

Options
okesmokie
okesmokie Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You guys that make pizza form scratch do you pre-cook your ground beef and sausage if not what do you do, I would think the 12 to fifteen minutes it takes to cook the pizza would not be enough time to get ground beef and sausage done.
Thanks again for your great responses

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />okesmokie,
    Yes, or you are serving raw food. I generally stick to Canadian Bacon and pepperoni. But, I would have to think it must be cooked first.[p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    okesmokie,
    Yes, I always brown my Italian sausage or beef in a skillet on the stove first! Besides being able to tweak the taste via spices to your liking you also can get rid of the yucky grease.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    okesmokie,
    I used to cook the sausage before putting it on the pizza, then I did a test bake of the sausage @ 450. It was cooked in 5 minutes. I like the flavor of the sausage grease, and don't like sausage jerky, so mine is always raw on my pies now. -RP

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    okesmokie,
    For the times I add ground beef I pre-cook the meat... and drain off the grease. I use a cast iron skillet on my natural gas range inside my house. I don't pre-cook pepperoni though. If I do sausage I would pre-cook it on my small egg first and then dice it for the pizza which I cook on my large. Hope this helps!

• Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    okesmokie,
    I make my own Italian sausage at home and freeze it. I cut into small dice while partially frozen let it defrost in the fridge and add as a topping to my pizza raw! It is completly cooked when the pizza is done. I agree with AZRP on the flavore of the grease in the pizza. I do cook my onions and mushrooms before I use as a topping yet I am not a big fan of either item when it is raw and that is why. Hoss
    Eggsofmarch002.jpg

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ,
    I make my own Italian sausage too, putting it on the pizza raw is the way I do it. -RP

• Jackbythesea
    Jackbythesea Posts: 102
    Options
    okesmokie,
    A quick stir in a pan with a little EVOO for the beef and a 3 minute blanch in some water in a frying pan, then crumble, for the sausage is great!
    Jack