Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help for a ruined brisket...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried my first brisket last night after several successful butts. Even with a 1/8" bottom opening and the daisy wheel just cracked, the fire got too hot (300) overnight. The brisket got up to 210 before I got up. It's off now, wrapped in foil, in a cooler. [p]The question is, I have guests coming in 7 hours. Can I realistically keep in in there that long or will it matter what temp the meat is in 7 hours?[p]Looks like we'll be having chicken too![p]Thanks,
Bruce

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Willowdog,[p]First of all, 210 can still give you a decent brisket. Don't write it off. Pour some apple juice on it and wrap it back in foil. 7 hours is fine. I'll betcha it will be great.[p]mShark
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Willowdog,
    I agree with Molly. You may be very surprised.[p]Mike

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Willowdog,
    apple juice is too healthy. add some beer, seal the foil back up and warm it if you need to right before serving. It'll be fine.

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    katman, give the apple juice to your kid, you drink the beer, and add beef broth to the foil. Now the kid, the cook, and the brisket are all happy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Will post results in a little bit. Just in case; the chicken's on right now. You can never have enought bbq'd meat.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Willowdog,
    should be a good eater

• Unknown
    Options
    Update:[p]Amazing. It was really quite good (the chicken was good too). It would have been a little moister if I had added the juice right when I took it out (I didn't add any) but I was very surprised.[p]Thanks to all,
    Bruce[p]p.s. I've learned that even if the fire is stable for a couple of hours, shut the lower vent even more before going to bed!!!

• The exact same thing is happening to me right now.

Put brisket on at 1 a.m., left it at 3:30, temps great at 7:30, added some more wood chips (I believe this is my mistake) and at 10:00 I checked on the brisket and the Egg was at 350 and the inner temp was at 200/210.

Nevertheless, I don't have apple juice or beef broth in the house, but I already wrapped the brisket in foil and have it resting in the cooler. Any other suggestions?