Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cant believe I want to ask a FISH question

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All this talkin bout fish is getting to me.....first off..I can`t stand the taste of fish, however I like fishsticks and tuna in the can, which everyone tells me I like those cause they aint real fish....Anyway..Sally loves fish and I think I`m willing to gamble on some egged/smoked fish to impress her...What I need to know is what is the least fishy tasting fish I could cook and what would be any suggestions on prep,cook,brine,times,temps.....Remeber Spin....I told ya I needed to quit being so stubborn and try some things I normally dont like..LOL..well here goes nuttin...
So I believe you get the idea of what I`m asking..any advice would be greatly appreciated..I once ate fresh trout on a hunting trip where it was the only thing provided for dinner and I couldnt bring myself to eat it even then/ and YES I did try it..the drooling crowd bout trampled each other trying to get to mine...any help for an adventurous but apprehensive non fish eatin egger...[p]Wess

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    WessB,[p]Maybe if you smoke the living daylights out of it, you'd like it. Or tolerate it.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    WessB, what's next - requests for tofu burger recipes?! :-)

• WessB
    BluesnBBQ,
    LOL...naaaahhh, we aint goin that far..however this waist line is definately showin some Egg scars..and HEY.. the way I been cookin on this thing..there aint no tellin whats going to be next..LOL[p]
    Wess

• The Naked Whiz,
    Good quality sushami yellowfin Tuna is very much like red meat in taste and texture.Maybe try that Miso recipe down below or just sear it with some ground ginger, garlic, crushed black pepper and maybe some sessame seeds. Remember to use high heat but just cook it a few minutes oin each side direct heat.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    BluesnBBQ,[p]If anyone is going to post tofu recipes, maybe we need to post some directions on how to sew frilly aprons and skirts to wear while we cook....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WessB,
    I bet you'd like this Black Grouper we caught on a fishing trip in Baja Mexico. We coated it in a crunchy batter and deep fried it.
    Guarentee you'd a loved that[p]good luck anyway[p]I know you can do it!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WessB,
    You need to be edumicated!! If you like those fish sticks, you would probably like most non-oily ocean fish. The key is to buy fresh stuff. If it smells fishy, it is not fresh. Any of the white fleshed fish will be up your alley. Cod is what they use a lot in those fish sticks. A nice thick cod filet is perfect. Or grouper. Or halibut. Something along those lines.[p]One good and simple way is to make a paste with yellow mustard, dijon mustard, lime juice, peaunut oil, and some spices (a cajun spice is nice). Slather the filet and let sit while you heat your egg up...no more than an hour....and gently slap it on direct at 400. 2-4 minutes (until browned) then flip gently...only once. 2-4 minutes more and just when it wants to flake, gently remove. Should be nicely crusted, slightly firm and moist and wonderful on the inside. You will like the texture of fish done this way. [p]For one who doesn't dig fish, Get fresh ocean fish. Spice it up. You will be a convert!
    Keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    WessB,
    My wife recently chastised me for buying some salmon that was "fishy"---the gal behind the butcher stand in the grocer said they were on special, they looked good, and she wrapped 'em up, and I threw them in the freezer. Long story short....they were smelling pretty stout when they defrosted, and the fishy smell lingered even after cooking them on the Egg. A local chef who has a radio/TV show here said that you should always smell it first, and if it smells fishy...pass. I grew up in San Francisco, and it was pretty stupid if you ever got fish that smelled strong...but here in the heartland (or anywhere), you have to be careful.
    Being forced to eat fish on Fridays, growing up in a strict Catholic household years ago...I had the same gag reflex for a long time---and then I discovered different spices, preparation techniques, and now I can actually eat more than lobster and crab. I'm going to do a low and slow smoke of some salmon tomorrow...Tim H's recipe (not Tim M)--hopefully will be reminiscent of the fancy smoked salmon people put out at parties. Wish me and you luck!! Big Murth
    p.s. I think Gretl's salmon recipe(in the recipes section of this site) would make you and the wife happy---I plan on cooking that one myself soon.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    WessB,[p]You may try some blackened catfish fillets. The farm raised are very mild and available in regular grocery stores. They take spices very well and once doctored up, they really don't taste like fish. [p]Zip
  • WessB
    Nature Boy,
    Man..you have a way with words that make my taste buds dance....I will try it soon...lots going on right now and no immediate plans to be at the store...and can you get what you would consider "fresh" at a grocery store or do I need a seafood market or Costco???
    Thanks bud[p]Wess

• WessB
    Zip,
    I know Sally will pan fry catfish from time to time, that maybe a good candidate for the egg also.
    Thanks[p]Wess

• WessB
    Big Murth,
    Not sure if I`m ready for Salmon yet..had a friend who doesnt care for fish either..cooked it for his wife and mother and he said it had afishy taste..could be a lot of variables involved also tho...
    Thanks.[p]Wess

• WessB
    altagain,
    anything fried with a cruncy batter is tops on my list....I was really hoping to do something on the egg..[p]Wess

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    altagain,[p]We just did a fish fry with fresh grouper from the Gulf. That is some good stuff with wompas bread, cheese grits, and sweet tea. Oh yea![p]Zip
  • Nature Boy
    WessB,
    You can find fresh fish sometimes at the grocery store. Buy the stuff from the counter so you can smell it. Be selective. It should look fresh and smell fresh! [p]Costco has very fresh seafood, but the selection varies. Today they had flounder filets that were too thin and fragile for grilling. Sometimes they have this alaskan halibut that is incredible, and grills very nicely. Have not seen cod or grouper there. They have Tilapia, which is mild, but being a freeshwater fish, has a tad muddy flavor.[p]Have fun!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    alt,
    I agree with you. A good fresh tuna seared on the outside, and deep, deep red in the center is where it is AT. Not likely to go over well with the fish-finicky though! Some people just can't seem to get past the fact that it is almost raw. [p]More for us!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    WessB, Careful now, Egged fish is liable to make you a convert. One of my favorites is to take a fresh trout, sprinkle just a little salt in the cavity and then stuff it as full as you can with sprigs of fresh mint. Grill hot and fast; get the first side done before you turn it. To serve, pull the mint out and put 'em on a plate. All you need is a boiled potato or two, and a fresh beer.
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    WessB,[p]My recommendation would be to get the whitest fish you can find, something like snapper, cod, grouper, cobia (kind of iffy on this one for starters), talapia, catfish, or something with a real white meat. I think NB said this and its the best that you can get to make sure that it will not have a fishy taste. THEN, make sure that its frest. Our grocery store routinely has fish on the shelf that says "fresh, never frozen". I've had some of these when they come up (not always the same type of fish that they have fresh) and they are usually pretty good. At least they are the freshest I've found here in the Midwest. Avoid the oliy or dark meat fish, like salmon, mackerel, or anythign else that is more "steaklike" than "fishlike" if you know what I mean. The denser the meat, usually the more pronounced flavor it will have. Not necessarily a fishy flavor, just a more pronounced flavor in general. When you are preparing the fish, MAKE SURE that there is NO blood left on the fish at all. The bloodline is a dark piece of flesh, under the skin, that goes down the length of the fish. This is fishy tasting no matter WHAT type of fish you are cooking. So, if your butcher doesnt clean that off, do it yourself, you'll know if you get a mouthfull of it, trust me.[p]To cook it, I like to cook mine direct over a medium heat, turning if possible. A good 325-350 fire and some good seasonings will do the trick, cook it until it flakes nicely but dont overdo it. Then, just after it comes off of the egg, put some butter and lemon juice on it and you're in for some good eats. The lemon juice will cut the fish flavor a bit if there is any. The butter just gives a nice flavor to it all.[p]Good luck, hope you get a flavor for it, its really a treat in my household. Not too much the kids will get seconds of (4 year old boy and 20 month girl) but every time I egg fish, including smoked salmon and other dark fish, they LOVE it and go back for thirds or until its gone.[p]Let us know how it comes out.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    WessB,
    Believe it or not, I'm not all that into fish either, but a good non-fishy fish is a welcomed treat. I like thick cuts of a fleshy fish as well. Mahi Mahi, Mako, Tuna, Marlin, Swordfish, and the occasional salmon fillet. The tuna recipe I posted below was not a bit fishy and the kids loved it. Depending on what you think of miso, that may be a good choice, but if you don't care for it, you're stuck with a lifetime supply of miso and mirin! (you could probably pawn it off on one of us at Eggtoberfest, however!).

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    WessB, try BobbyQue's "Jerked Grouper with Papaya Jam" that he posted some time ago. That was absolutely delicious. My wife loved it, my youngest son loved it (the older one refuses to eat fish) and the cats would have loved it had we left them any. Try it. You'll like it.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    WessB,[p]Hey, WessB, thanks for asking this fishy question. I can't help, but I'm sure enjoying all of this great fish info flying around in the responses (...or is that "swimming around"...).[p]Later,
    Cornfed - who loves seafood but has very little experience cooking any other than salmon/shrimp

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    WessB,
    Although I could LIVE on salmon, I have to agree. Salmon is a "robust" fish; pretty oily. I read Nature Boy's suggestions and I heartily agree about ocean white fish. The recipe I posted a few days ago for scrod (which is just young cod) would be a delicious introduction for a fish novice.
    Cheers,
    Gretl[p]p.s. I applaud your sense of adventure!!

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    WessB,
    Hey, yeah. Tuna! I buy thawed yellowfin. And I swear, it's just like filet mignon. Absolutely not fishy tasting, nor is it fishy (as in slimy) textured. There are all kinds of recipes mentioned recently for preparing it. I have had fresh, but believe it or not, I prefer the frozen and here's why. The frozen is flash-frozen while it's still on the boat, and it's vacuum sealed in individual packets. So air hasn't had a chance to spoil it at all. I buy it frozen and it takes only about 20 minutes for it to thaw (still vacuum sealed) in a pan of cold water. Living in land-locked central Pennsylvania makes me skeptical of FRESH tuna, which to my critical eye and nose looks and smells "off" more often than not. [p]By the way, I ALWAYS ask the clerk at the fish counter to let me smell the fish and shellfish before buying. They all know me now, and always offer up whatever I ask for me to sniff.
    Cheers,
    G.

• WessB
    Gretl,
    Well Thank You very much for that closing remark..[p]Wess

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Nature Boy,[p]I am now very hungry. Ate that on Monday Blackened! :~>
  • flajoker
    flajoker Posts: 52
    WessB, Best fish I ever tasted is freshwater bass. No fish taste at all. To bad it doesn't swim in the gulf of mexico. But then it would taste like fish. YUK

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    WessB,[p]You were walking about EggFest'01 with a glazed look all day, muttering that the thing cooks everything. You moved about, explaining that you were VERY particular about what meats you eat and little vegetables and even less seafood. In the afternoon, you were venturing thoughts of what Sally eats.... She just smiled and said you would eventually be cooking these things. I remember it well :-).[p]Congrats on taking the first step into Wonderland. Lots of great ideas and suggestions have been offered. The Chesapeake Bay has black drumfish visit there every spring. They have left now, but the meat is very, very mild. I live near the Delaware Bay where the red drumfish visit at the same time each year. The meat freezes well and is of light taste - not fishy at all. It works well with most marinades and rubs,sauces. The fish is typically 45-90 lbs and the ribs can be barbequed. Slather with sauce and cook for 20-25 minutes at 275-300°F. Not a lot of meat, but they look like ribs![p]Please let me know how the adventure goes and say hi to Sally from us both.[p]Spin
  • WessB
    Spin,
    I certainly will tell her Hi for ya..and you obviously didnt drink enough if you remember all that..LOL..Thanks for all your advice and it wont be long before I undertake this fishy adventure...
    Own a boat and hate fish..LOL go figure...[p]Wess