Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Type of coal and pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi!
I have had my Egg now for two months and haven't had a bad meal yet out of it. I want to try pizza on it and have everything I need. I see in the recipe on the web site that oak lump charcoal is needed. I only have the BGE brand charcoal, and my dealer does not carry the oak lump. So I have two questions: 1) where can I find oak lump charcoal, and 2) if you use the BGE charcoal, does it ruin the pizza by making it taste like smoke?
Thanks for all of your help!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    New Eggie,
    I`ve used the BGE lump every time I make pizza..no smokey taste..dont worry..go for it and enjoy[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    New Eggie,[p]The BGE lump will work perfectly, as will Royal Oak and many other brands. Mesquite lump charcoal imparts a slight "bite" to the pie dough. Many here like a slight smoke flavor. I just prefer the cleaner taste.[p]Best of luck with your pizza.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    New Eggie,[p]
    BGE lump is made from Oak and other hardwoods. It "is" what you want to use for all your cooking and is made for BGE by Royal Oak. I avoid any woods when doing pizza, the lump itself imparts a nice smokey taste - very mild.[p]Tim