Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs on the mini (pics)

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a lo'n'slo beef short rib cook on my mini over night. They turned out pretty good as the meat melted in your mouth and was to die for. Here are the results:[p]After 5.5 hrs:
<a href="http://photobucket.com&quot; target="_blank">IMG_0306.jpg[p]
With sauce at the 6 hr stage:
<a href="http://photobucket.com&quot; target="_blank">IMG_0307.jpg[p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,[p]Those look really good. How many hours did you run the mini? [p]I'll have to show the pics to a guy I work with. I've been trying to convince him that the Egg is the way to go, but he doesn't think he can afford it. Perhaps a mini will tempt him.[p]gdenby

• Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,[p]Took about 5.5 hrs at 250 or so. Used about 3 handfuls of lump, all the small bits in my bag.[p]If your co-worker doesn't have an egg already, I'd recommend him skipping his lunches for a couple of weeks to save up for a small. The smal would provide him with significantly more versatility. The mini is great for small grill sessions and highly portable. but somewhat limited in what you can do for low'n'slos (although as you can see, low'n'slos aren't impossible).[p]That being said, I have cooked a rack of rib on it 3 times with great success. It's a tight fit though.[p]Ottawa_egger[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,[p]I,also, did about 6 shortribs yesterday on the grill. However, I did them direct at about 300 to 350 degrees. Braised them for about 1/2 hour then placed them on the grill. Basting every 15 minutes for about an hour and a half. Added smoke, but wont do that again. I thought they were ok? Kinda tough. Think I will do them again, but your method. [p]So you did them indirect for about 5.5 hours? Did you wrap them with foil? Did you braise them before grilling them? Would you change anything next time?