Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Desserts on an Egg????

Options
Danny C
Danny C Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks! After looking at the posts on the Official EGGtoberfest dates, I had a thought. Has anyone tried to cook a Peach Cobbler on an Egg? (Leave it to a true Georgian to think up something like that!) I'm thinking of trying one at home and if anyone has done one previously, I'd welcome the info. Maybe between now and October, I could have the receipe and method down to an art. Thanks! Go Jackets! BUZZZZZZ!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Danny C, if its close to a apple pie cook, you got it made. Just remember, almost anything cooked in a oven, is ripe for a cook on the BGE. Give it a try, but use a barrier of sorts..We have 4 alternatives in that regard..Zip just introduced a very good idea in a silica sand packed pan, the tri legged plate sitter (ceramic) and firebricks, also ceramic. Lastly if you desire more moisture, add a drip pan with water, alone or with the above.
    Or a drip pan without water or very little to catch drippings.
    Set up's are variable!

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Danny C,[p]Yeah, it's pretty simple. [p]Peach Cobbler[p]3/4 cup sugar
    1 stick butter (use the real thing)
    1 cup self-rising flour
    1 quart sliced fruit (sweetened with 1/2 cup sugar)
    1/2 cup milk[p]Melt the butter in the pan you intend cook it in and set aside. Mix flour, sugar and milk together, but don't try to get all the lumps out. Pour into dish on top of butter. Don't stir it no matter what. It should look like batter with butter surrounding all sides. Add fruit to top and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Once again, don't stir it. Bake at 350º for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown. I use the big cans (29oz) of sliced peaches in light syrup or the Osage brand I think of freestone peaches. This is only one of may versions of peach cobbler, however this is how my family has made it for generations. I cook it indirect as well.[p]
    Zip[p]

• Danny C
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Ok, I know about all the indirect methods you mentioned with the exception of the one Zip came up with. Got any more info on that?[p]Thanks[p]Danny

• Danny C
    Options
    Zip,
    Thanks! The only problem I see with the receipe is that you mentioned using canned peaches... LOL There are literally 1,000's of acres of peach orchards within minutes of my home. I think I'll replace the canned ones with fresh picked ones! :-)[p]Anyway, that sounds like the dessert of choice for Sunday afternoon! [p]DC

• Zip
    Options
    Danny C,[p]I'm sorry I left that part out. The measurements for fresh fruit with is with a 1/3 cup of sugar. If using canned, I don't add the extra sugar to the fruit.[p]Zip

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Zip, how much cinnamon-sugar do you use?

• Zip
    Options
    Danny C,[p]
    See the link below. You can actually get away with just a good heavy duty flat poot lid hung a couple inches below the grate with some wire for the cobbler. I don't feel I need the extra mass for it, I just want to keep direct flames from the bottom of the pan.[p]Zip

[ul][li]Cheap Pizza Stone[/ul]
  • Zip
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I actually use just a dusting of the cinnamon and a sprinkle of some of that turbo sugar if I have it. I just want a hint of cinnamon, unless I'm using apples or pears.[p]Zip
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Danny C,[p]This is a little off-topic for you, but maybe after you do your cobbler, you might try cooking fresh cherries directly on the grill. I haven't tried it yet, but I was reading about it on that other group's forum. Something about how the cherries come off tasting like miniature, hot cherry pies. You cook'em at 350. I am going to try it this weekend, maybe add sugared pineapply slices to the mix.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    >IMG SRC=">
    <p />Danny C,

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Danny C,
    Wish I was closer - I'd volunteer to critique your efforts! Peach cobbler is probably my favorite dessert. I did a peach/sweet potato pie last weekend that was pretty awesome though.