Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I made hamburgers for 30 people on the LBGE. My burgers were tasty and juicy, but they never achieved the dark crunchy outside I was looking for. I may have overloaded the Egg, my patties might have been too thick. I don't know. Bottom line is they were a little grey looking. Any suggestions? Should I have cooked in smaller batches?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Doug Hall,
    what temp? I cook burgers direct at 425. Also did you use any rub?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    I was cooking at 350 with the dome closed. No rub, but I did have some chipped onion and diced jalapeno inside some of the patties. When you say direct, do you mean with the dome open?

• RRP,[p]Please tell me how you do your burgers...I have tried the sear method of cooking burgers (700 degrees for a couple of minutes and then about 10 to 12 minutes with the vents closed). I never have good luck with this method. I like a medium rare burger without the charred crust...I just want a good tasting MR burger.[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Doug Hall,
    no, direct means without any barrier between the coals and the meat. I thought perhaps you had used your plate setter - but the problem IMO was your 350 was too low for having done 30 burgers. As for the dome down...by all means otherwise with no air restriction you would have had an inferno with all those burgers dropping grease and feeding the fire! can we say hockey pucks??? LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Smoking Jacket,[p] You don't need to sear burgers. 400-450 direct. NO PLATE SETTER. Depress the center before putting them on the grate. This allows them to expand some.[p] Do not flip them till the come off the grate. Keep the fork away from them. DO NOT press on them while they are cooking. Keep the dome closed[p] If you flip them when they come clean off the grate and remove them when the other side comes off clean they wilbe perfect.
  • RRP,
    Thanks, man! I'm going for high temp next time. Appreciate that second opinion 'bout the dome up business. Not only would I have hockey pucks, but no arm hair and eyebrows. Been there, done that in my eggolescence.[p]By the way, tried Hebrew National weiners for the first time, and they were a smash. Just picked them up at Costco. Funny thing, for the first time ever at one of my cookouts, I was asked if the dogs were kosher and I was able to say yes. Try them, they are good.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Doug Hall,[p]If you had 30 on there at one time then Yes smaller batches. Air and flame needs to circulate in between the burgers. That many burgers produces a fair amount of smoke versus flame. Next time you are doing that many then cook two first. Seriously lets you know if you have the cooker right.

• BYC,
    Thanks for that tip. I had about 15 patties on the grill. But they were 7 oz each. I ain't about no itty bitty patty.[p]Good thoughts, BYC!

• Celtic Wolf,[p]I'm confused about when to flip the burgers from your post or do you not flip them at all? [p]So...400 to 450 direct for how long to get medium rare for me and well done for SWMBO.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Smoking Jacket,[p] When they lift off grate cleanly I flip them. When they lift off the grate clean again I remove them..[p] You'll know they're ready to flip when they slide easily on the grate. Any resistance you need to wait.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Doug Hall,
    well doug all i do is cook them at 550 minimum and i make them real thick and i get the sear no problem!! i almost cook them like i do steaks actually.go about 90 seconds per side depending on the thickness and then let them rest at 400 t'ill done!sometimes i even stuff them with cheese!!!
    burger.jpg
    burger1.jpg

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Smoking Jacket,[p]Try indirect, about 250. Slow Smoke'em. Best burger you will ever eat.. Takes about 45 mins, but worth the wait.