Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking a boston butt this weekend for pulled pork.
I can get either a boneless boston butt or an untrimmed bone-in boston butt. Which one should I get? Any tips would also be appreciated.[p]KR

Comments

• tember
    tember Posts: 13
    Options
    KR,
    Bone in all the way. It adds flavor that you will not get from a boneless butt. Try out the slap yo' mama butt rub in the new recipe submissions and you will not be disappointed. Let the internal temp get to about 190-195 and it will pull itself. Good luck[p]egg on[p]t

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    KR,[p]For personal consumption I prefer bone in, however for business use the boneless are easier. The bone-in seems to have a little better flavor....[p]zip
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    KR,[p] Go for the untrimmed bone-in one. Make sure you get one with a decent fat cap on it, and cook with the fat cap up. I do mine indirect at about 220F until the internal temp gets to about 170, then I crank up the heat to about 275 until the internal temp is above 185. Haven't cooked a bad one yet![p]MikeO[p]PS You can use JJ's outstanding rub, or the one I made for the Eggfest this year -- both are in the submitted recipes section.
  • Cheryl
    Cheryl Posts: 18
    Options
    I can usually only find the boneless butts here... and with only a small BGE, that works fine for me. Turns out delish every time!

• Unknown
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Where can I find JJ's rub recipe?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Rev. ,
    its in the submitted recipe section[p]Wess