Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got egg ... brine?

Options
EggDawg
EggDawg Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ist anniversary present, and I've used it every night for over a week. I just found this site and I'm glad to see such a great resource.[p]Stupid question, is brine salt water?

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    EggDawg,[p] Yup. Basically that's it. You can also make a brine with sugar. You can add spices as well to flavor the meat . . .
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    EggDawg, Heeeeeeeeey EggDawg...good handle...We have GaDawg here too...and houndog, lotsa dogs..:-)
    Welcome to the forum..we are a howling bunch and will make ya comfy and right at home. Ask and ye shall recieve.
    Brine is a good question, and BTW.. only stupid questions here are the ones not asked.
    Brining is a solution of salts..primarily Kosher salt. Altho other salts can be used, most recipes call for Kosher.
    The reason is, regular salts are used in half the amounts of Kosher. I use the coarse Kosher.[p]Use 1 gallon of water,
    1 cup Kosher salt,
    1 cup Brown Sugar
    Crushed Garlic to your taste..a couple will do
    some Bay leaves..3 or 4..
    bring to a boil..let it cool..or use 1 quart of water and add 1 quart of cold to temper the hot. Make sure its cooled to at least room temp.
    Do not add hot or warm water to poultry or other meats.
    Refigerate after adding your meats to the brine 12 to 24 hours..More later...but thats brining..
    Cheers...Welcome aboard.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    MikeO, Man, your fast tonight...:-)

• EggDawg
    EggDawg Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks, fellas! I'll hang around!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    EggDawg, do that, and there will be others to show you around..We even have a couple of pretty good tips and techniques websites from GFW and TimM worth looking at as your browsing.. I will let those two amateurs introduce themselves..heeeeyaaa...They be good guys..you betcha.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    EggDawg, welcome aboard. I'm honored to be mentioned by Char-Woody. Happy egging and goooooooo dawgs![p]Chuck

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    EggDawg, At the base of it all, brine is just salt and water, just like the good guys below tell ya... But brine is "amplified" with sugars, spices, etc...[p]My favorite is 40 oz. of beer, 40 oz. of water, 1/2 pound of non-iodized salt, 1/2 cp honey and the herbs of your choice (could be rosemary, could be allspice, could even be chili). Heat just enough to meld all ingredients, let cool and pour over any old kine poultry you got hanging around.[p]The one ting you're gonna learn is: this is the place to be, and, the Egg is the cooker for you! Welcome! B.S.
  • Danny C
    Danny C Posts: 16
    Options
    GaDawg,
    I Just couldn't resist the opportunity to say "Go Jackets!!!" BBBUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZ :-)[p]Danny

• Unknown
    Options
    Too many dawgs around here, if you ask me. :-)