Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt cooking times and temp???

Options
JR
JR Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1st Boston Butt I will cook will be in the morning... What temp and time should I look at??? It is a small CHEEK at 4.84lb...

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    JR,
    Check out link this should help you out a long way. Aim for DOME temp of 250....[p]Click on link from our friends at Dizzy pig for further details. [p]Let me know if you need more help![p]Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesButt.html[/ul]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    JR,
    I'd shoot for 250 degrees dome temp. It should take about 8 hours, give or take. If it gets done too soon, wrap in foil and put it in a dry ice chest, and cover with towels. You can hold it there for 3-4 hours with no problem..........

• JR
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Thank you!!!!

• JR
    Options
    egret,
    Thank you!!!

• Unknown
    Options
    JR,[p]I did my first one last night and what a breeze it was. 8 lbs. I cooked it at a dome temp. between 220-250, stuck a thermometer in it and waited until it hit 200 degrees. Took about 15 hours, so yours wont take as long. Wrapped it in foil for an hour then shredded it. Butts are very forgiving. Had pork sandwich for lunch, carnitas for dinner and plenty of leftovers for chile verde. Good luck with it.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Great idea to head to that Dizzy Pig link and bone-up on smoking Boston Butts...You'll have plenty of time on your hands after you start your cook to do your homework....Dome temp 250 - 275 is OK....The magic of the BGE allows you to cook indirect at slightly higher temps than open fire smoking and Butts are awfully, awfully hard to mess up......[p]Do your homework and enjoy the results......[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]I starting my first one tonight also to be ready tomorrow. Does everyone use the plate setter with the legs up or open flame. Also where does the drip pan go - on the rack directly under the butt or on the plate setter?[p]Thanks in advance[p]Jason

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Jason,
    Platesetter legs up... aluminum pan sitting on plate setter. Grate sits on top of legs. Butt sets fat cap down on grate! Dome 250 let butt cook to internal 190 pull and wrap in foil and let rest for about an hour. Good luck!