Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

C-W - Future of the mini?

Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I missed something - is the mini not long for production? I was just starting to think that I really needed it!

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Janet,[p]I think you're right on both counts. The mini is on its way out and yes, you do need one. The mini is awesome. Perfect for a single dude like me. I use it much more often than my Small.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Cornfed,
    Thanks for the info. I'll see if my local store still has it and perhaps splurge. I love the large, but have already seen circumstances that the mini would be more appropriate for 2 people.

• Janet, Cornfed left nothing on the cob for me..:-) Good answer. I just had a rippin hot (Montreal Steak Seasoning on it) hamburger with thick sliced potato's all grilled on the small BGE. Great eat's..but whew..is that seasoning hot stuff..Lotsa red floating around in it..I shoulda knowed.
    Cheers...
    Old Char Mouth, er,,,I mean Char-Woody[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    C~W,[p]Very nice! BGE burgers are pretty hard to beat. For Janet, I'd love a Large, but still don't have the space. Also, I have to move my Eggs off the porch when I want to cook. Being the wimp that I am, it is much easier to move that mini 8-10 feet off the porch (as the rules at my apartment complex mandate) to cook. Granted, I can handle the Small by myself, but with the mini the carry is effortless. Also, the mini uses so little lump it's truly amazing.[p]I definitely think you should go for it. I think it's a great complement to the bigger Eggs.[p]That being said, many on this forum swear by the Large-Small combo. You can do nearly anything on the Small including 18 hour low and slows....so if you have the space and the capital to spend, maybe the Small would look nice next to the Large and Mini. At that point, you may as well go ahead and get the Medium and Chiminea, too...[p]Go Yanks! Just beat the Indians 8-7 (sorry R&J, had to rub it in). My fantasy team is in 9th place out of 9 teams, so I have to savor any wins by my favorite non-fantasy team...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    C~W,
    Do you use anything on the top of your mini for heat control, I know a fire brick will work but was wondering how you do it.
    Sounds like you had some hot stuff, hope ya keep a fire extinguisher in the out house. (grin)
    New Bob

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cornfed, Yanks won,,,Beat the Indian's...Amazing!! :-)
    Who was the World Series Champs last year??
    Good analogy on the Eggs...! I rank em in steak cooks, Mini 1st on up to the large..not that any one cannot do a great steak..but its quicker, and fuel saving as you get smaller.
    I did my burger and fries on a splatter screen on the small, left over accessory from my jerky experiments...All went well with a spray of Pam..but scratch one splatter screen..Burned a chunk right out of it...:-)
    Or tore it out..not sure..!
    Ready to trash it anyway..C'ya..think Green..!!
    C~W[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Cornfed,[p]I just watched the tail end of the Yanks/Tribe game and am lamenting the outcome. Mariano sucked but got away with it. I will try to get some tickets to post season for those Yankee fans who might like to see the final outcome of the MLB this year hehehehhe.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    New Bob, I am trying to find a big plumbers union nut like someone used in the threads..posted a picture of it..Sorry, the name evades me. An old shoe will do in the meantime for low and slow..heeeeyaaaaa. A thin brick works good too. I have a 1/2" thick one.
    Piece of broken tile..:-)
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    minihat.jpg
    <p />New Bob,
    Here is a picture of the sliding top i made for my mini,i made it out of a cap that protects the valve on a oxygen bottle.
    Larry

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    New Bob,
    You can use the daisy that fits the small with some felt gasket around the inside at the bottom to provide a decent seal.
    JimW

• flajoker
    flajoker Posts: 52
    Janet, Cox pools in Panama City,fla. has mini for $99.00. If you buy some other stuff, might even buy it cheaper. And I understand they will ship freight due. Bought my mini with some other stuff for $85.00.

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Slide_top_for_Mini.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,[p]Is this the one you were thinking of?[p]Carl T

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Cornfed, Count me among the Large/Small troops. The small is just right for grilling steaks & burgers, chicky parts, etc. for 2 - or for that matter the 7-hour run I did on a 4 pound leg of lamb. The large doubles as an oven (great pies and breads) and a smoker for ribs, whole briskets, shoulders. I wouldn't part with either of 'em.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Carl T,
    Nice looking top, did you line the inside of the nut with anything????? Once a nut always a nut, at least that's what my friends tell me.
    New Bob

• Char-Woody
    Carl T, exactly...thanks for surfacing for the Kudos...Good ideas are always most welcome..! And it has kind of a country look to it..Beats a brick!!
    :-)
    C~W[p]

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    New Bob,[p]No, I did not line the inside of the nut with anything. The inside diameter of the nut is, at the top, smaller than the inside diameter of the threads. It fits snugly centered on the egg's exhaust opening and the threads do not touch the egg.[p]I did a roast over one of my stand up chicken drip pans and I could control temp just as easy as my large and small eggs.[p]Carl T