Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Butt Help!

JasonJason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an 8.71 lb bone in pork butt that I want to cook in my lg egg for the first time. I want to eat at about 1pm on Monday. I have several questions.[p]1. What should my egg setup be (I have a plate setter and a v rack - do I need them?) What about a drip pan?[p]2. How long and at what temp should I cook it at? I have read several posts ranging from 225 to 260? [p]3. What does the internal temp of the butt need to be before it is ready to eat? Can anyone tell me where I can get one of those thermometers that the probe stays in the meat but the gauge can be placed outside the egg?[p]4. Rub - I don't think I want to use a rub. My cousin cooked some pulled pork once and all he used was apple cider vinager and pepper and it was great. Any thoughts about this.[p]Sorry so many questions - I just want this to turn out good![p]Thanks in advance.[p]Jason

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,424
    Jason,[p]
    1. Plate setter (legs up) - drip pan - grate[p]2. 225° to 260° is just fine[p]3. Around 200°. You can wiggle the bone or poke for tenderness. WalMart.[p]4. Salt and black pepper is really all you need for any barbecued meat. Is your cousin from Eastern North Carolina? They use a basic mop like this:[p]1 qt water
    1 qt vinegar
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    3 tablespoons cayenne
    1 tablespoon black pepper[p]Here is my version:[p]2 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup apple juice
    3 teaspoons sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon wooster[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JasonJason Posts: 45
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks very much for the response.[p]1. Do you put anything in the drip pan? Do you put the butt on the v rack?[p]2. How long do you think it will take for a 8.7 lb butt?[p]3. On your mop do you mix together and boil or just mix together?[p]Jason

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,424
    Jason,[p]1. I use a foil lined, empty drip pan. Mine is a deep dish pizza pan. And I just set the butt(s) on the grate.[p]2. I cook a lot of them that size and I plan on 16 hours plus some time in a pre-warmed cooler for resting. I wrap in foil before going into the cooler, and insulate with newspaper. If the butt is getting too dark on the cooker, I will wrap in foil and finish the cook wrapped, then move it to the cooler.[p]3. I warm the mop (not boiling) enough to allow the salt to dissolve and to let everything blend. The vinegar will put off a strong smell, just like making pickles. I keep it keep it warm during the cook.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery