Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"To brine....or not to brine"

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Turkey...."that is the question.
Steve Shakespeare

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Big Murth, "to brine-self be true" BillyBob Shakespeare [p]Murth, how do we know? Just brine one and you'll decide. It definitely makes it moister but some people like dry turkey. I prefer Wild Turkey. COme to think of it, that might be good in the brine. "The Wild Turkey Turkey." I like it already. Try it, you'll like it. :-)

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Wise One,
    I like the concept, but I think the "Good Woman" wouldn't appreciate it at the same level.
    I definitely like the more moist results that not only the Egg produce, but marinades, injections, too. If brining brings it out further, I'll give it a try. Question: Could I brine while I'm defrosting the bird? Thanks!!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Big Murth, technically you cannot brine as you thaw. Since the water cannot penetrate the ice, it must thaw in order to brine. However, you can certainly thaw the bird in the brine. I put my bird in a plastic bag (small UNUSED garbage bag works) and put the whole thing in a large pot. I put other objects (plastic containers work well) in the pot outside the bag so that I can use less brine. Then put the whole turkey into the refrigerator to thaw and brine. Be sure the brine is cool before you put it around the turkey. Otherwise strange things can start growing. Using the brine alone helps with moisture. Putting other ingredients in will get the flavors in as well. Injecting it just prior to cooking ought to really make it moist and flavorful.

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I would worry about thawing a turkey in a brine. A turkey takes several days to dethaw in the fridge, which would be overdoing the brine, IMHO. Also, make sure your frozen bird isn't ALREADY brined by the processor- the label will tell you if it was frozen in a salt solution. [p]Good luck![p]Skooter