Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Smoking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1. Do I need to bring egg to high temp (over 600 deg.) before adjusting temp to be able to smoke?[p]2. What is a good temp for smoking a 10lb bird?, and how long should this take?[p]3. When smoking for extended periods do I need to add additional chips or lump?[p]Thanks in advance for your knowledge and experience.[p]Michael[p]

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Michael in Minnesota,
    I prefer to "start low," with my smoking: I'd put the bird in around 200º, try to keep my actual smoking temps between 250 and 270. #2 I assume you're doing "whole bird", so I can't help much - I figure breasts at about 90 mins. per pound at 240º. Somebody else will have to tell you internal temps: I take breasts to 160 internal. #3 Load your firebox almost to the rim with lump and smoking wood chunks - you shouldn't need to reload. #4 Good luck!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    1. Do I need to bring egg to high temp (over 600 deg.) before adjusting temp to be able to smoke?
    A: Never, not on poultry that is..[p]2. What is a good temp for smoking a 10lb bird?, and how long should this take?[p]B: Under 200F..and usually about half hour to 45 minutes then just increase temperatures burn.[p]3. When smoking for extended periods do I need to add additional chips or lump?[p]C: No...not if you set up properly to start with with a adequate amount of charcoal for the cook. Normal is a firechamber full for a turkey at 350F degrees for 15 to 20 minutes per lb..or to a breast temperature of 170 F degrees maximum. Do not run higher..just tent in foil for 15 to 20 minutes...
    I bet someone beats me this time...Good luck..
    Char-Woody, and welcome to the forum.[p][p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    BlueSmoke, Waaaaaaaaa.....20 odd seconds???? Not fair!!
    C~W[p]

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Char-Woody, Yeahbut
    Yeah, but I'm on my 5th cup of coffee...
    :-)
    BS

• Char-Woody
    Options
    BlueSmoke, That figures.. I was outside working and tired already..:-)
    You did good.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Char-Woody, Did even better! At Lowe's out here, the first 10 tile cuts are free. Picked up a saltillo tile, had it cut into a plate-setter/pizza stone for the small Egg. And I just brought in a sirloin leg of lamb whose aroma is driving me even crazier than I am to begin with... :-) (Cracked the stuffing out of that tile, but at $0.97 a tile and free cuts...)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Well..you will find that the BGE stone is the best..sooner or later, you will dig for one!
    Tile are not good for over 3 to 400 F..and zingo..same for clay based pizza stone. Get ceramic.
    Good luck on the lamb...I have yet to convince the wiffy we need to go that route.
    Cheers.
    C~W

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]
    You can make a cheap durable pizza stone with a eight inch tile, some sterilized play sand, and a eight inch square shallow cake pan ( no more than about one and a quarter inches deep). Fill the cake pan with the sand up to where when you add the tile it is level with the top of the pan. You can add two tiles if you like, but one will work. [p]The play sand I am talking about is available at Lowes and is just silica. I washed it and then placed wet in the pan and cooked it at 400º for about one hour and then kicked up the temps to 500º+ until the fire died out. The sand is advertised as being washed and sterilized, but I wash it and sterilize it again. The eight inch square is a little over eleven inches diagonal, so it fits the small well.[p]I have played around with this for a couple of months with no breakage as of yet. If the tile you have breaks and you want another low price alternative, give the above a try. [p]Zip

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Zip, Now thats thinkin...great idea, and your adding some humidity to the stone...Where did I read that regarding wiping a wet cloth over a stone prior to putting on the pie.
    ??
    C~W[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]No humidity added to the stone. The sand is washed and then cooked to make me feel better about it being sanitized. The sand should be dry before adding the tiles. I'll clarify above.[p]Zip
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Zip,
    Thanks! I'll make myself a "zip-stone" this weekend.