Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt Chicken

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
"She who must be obeyed" asked me to try the Beer Butt Chicken recipe for supper last night (AKA the Busch Vertical Roaster recipe). If you haven't tried this one, do so. It was literally the best chicken we've ever eaten.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, just so happens that's what is on our menu tonight, however I've gotten away from the tipsy can in favor of a Willie's Chicken sitter. It has a broad base thus low center of gravity and therefore is very stable. Granted clean up takes 15 seconds longer than just tossing the messy aluminum can, but once you've drown your fire or smelled the aftermat of the liquid contents which manage to only pour down between the inside of the BGE and the outside of the fire ring you'll think again about a Willie's. Here's their site, and no, I have nothing to gain personally, I'm just a satisfied user.
    http://www.barbecue-store.com/sitters.htm

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, I've been doing turkey breasts the same way. Just as tender, juicy, and well should I go on or cook one.[p]CWM

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for the tip! Those sitters are intriguing. I've owned several over the years. Back in 1983 (early days of "informercials") I ordered two "Australian Chicken Cookers" from a guy named Australian George. One I gave to the parents of "She who must be obeyed" before we got married (They be big chicken eaters). We still have ours and use it in the oven. I also picked up two Spanic (sp?) roasters at a Corning Store in an outlet mall. Price - 50 cents each! Such a deal.... But those look like they'd be better since they're a combo vertical roaster/liquid holder.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    The vertical roaster works great, everything juicy too. As RRP suggests though, Willie's Chicken Sitter is the way to go if you want the Beer Butt action, too. I tried the can once, and almost lost two fingers in the process, besides wasn't too keen on the dye from the can permeating my bird.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Quit using that cheap beer.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    JJ,
    All my beer comes in pretty brown bottles that would make a huge mess in the BGE.