Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

125 Guest how many butts to cook??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im cooking for a Group called Young at Heart it is an elderly group. They have asked me to cater with my Pulled pork how may BUTTS do I need to cook.
Thanks
RTC Smokin

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    For pulled pork sammiches....Each serving would be approximately 4 - 6 ounces....Elderly folks tend eat more balanced meals and won't eat a ton of just meat....125 x 6 = 750oz/47lbs. of served product....With shrinkage around 40% total weight....I think you need approximately 70 - 80lbs of meat to start with....10 Butts at 7 - 8lbs. each would be a safe number.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    RTC Smokin,[p] eddiemac's calculations are correct, but with a group of elderly people I'd go on the conservative side of 4oz per person, but that would depend on the sides too. You might want an average of say 5oz per serving.

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Options
    Here's a link to a handy catering calculator that will tell you how much raw meat to buy for x # of people and will do a lot more stuff including calculate the cost per serving if you plug in whatcha gave for the meat.

http://bbq-review.com/planner/catering1.xls
  • Unknown
    Options
    eddiemac,
    I appreciate the help i was figured it would be around 10 butts. I was write on
    thanks again
    RTC Smokin