Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to set Egg up for smoking

Options
Doc
Doc Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new owner. Planning to smoke a boston butt. How do I set the BGE up for indirect heat? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Doc,
    You can use a plate setter if you bought one. It goes in legs up, the drip pan on the plate setter and then the grid on the plate setter's legs.[p]If not, you can use two grids and some fire bricks (click here for more info) to make an indirect setup. [p]If nothing else, you can just place the butt on a rack in a drip pan and rest that on the grid. The drip pan will give you the barrier to form indirect heat.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Doc
    Doc Posts: 8
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for info...One more question. I do have a plate setter, when I place it in the BGE legs up, what does it actually sit on?

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Doc,
    It sits on the fire ring and the grid sits on the legs. Put a drip pan on the plate setter. -RP