Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger help!

Options
Slim
Slim Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what time and temp would i cook some burgers up? they are 3/4 to 1 inch thick thank you

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    slim, I doem about 400 for 4 minutes on each side.[p]CWM

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    slim, bare burger, no fillings, CWM has it right..add 8 to 10 minutes dwell over hot coals, and if you like cheese and onion..add them about 2 minutes prior to the end of the dwell period,..then a quick melt down and burger heaven..I tried the dimple in the middle trick posted by someone and it works..! These come out really juicy.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Slim
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    thank you i appreciate it!

• Slim
    Options
    Char-Woody, thanks for the help but the DIMPLE METHOD??[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    slim, sorry, I thought you read all the posts and that is nearly impossible..
    Some one mentioned to take a finger and depress the center of the burger to make a depression before slipping it on the grill or some say do make the center thinner. Same thing. Then they do not swell up in the center and cook more uniformly..Good tip..it works...try it.
    C~W[p]

• Slim
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    thanks once again! i will try this tonight

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    slim,
    I cook em like steak, high heat sear about 2-3 mins. a side and dwell till done. Really Great!
    B D

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Big Daddy, I liked em that way too, but there is a difference in the cook between a steak (solid meat) and a burger which has been ground. Thus the increased temperature requirments for burgers..!
    When cooked at steak levels, you most likely will have a charred exterior and a more rare interior. When cooked at 400 to 500F you get a more thorough cook and higher interior temperature assuring no health problems. And a more juicy burger..Give it a try sometime.
    I played with that stuff called horseradish the other day, with a slather of mustard, and kinda liked it.
    Cheers, and good luck..your doin fine.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks I'll try them that way. I do like em a little pink in the middle. Do you think they still be seared on outside if only cooked to pink (150*)in the middle.
    Regards,
    B D

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Big Daddy, I open and adjust my lower vent to add flame and knock it down, much like a water bottle in a briquette cooker. Does the same thing.
    The exteriors are dark but not what you call a charred steak exterior. Still great eating. Try some varieties of jalapeno cheese melt with swiss. Alternate or mix. Great melted with a few rings of vadalia onion on top.
    Ooooooh boy...I am starving..! Hamburger is one item that isn't recommended for pinks to rare. E.Coli is a bad thing to mess with in the odds.
    Cheers..
    Char-Woody[p]