Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt

Options
BillB
BillB Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After two weeks with my egg I started my first pork butt last night. After two hours it seemed stabilized at 240 and I went to bed. Slept really bad-got up 4 1/2 hrs later and went out to check on the temp of the egg, it was down to 175, opened it up a little and got back about 240-let it idle that way until the internal temp was 180, then opened it up a little more so the dome temp was near 300, and took the butt off when the internal reached 200-then wrapped it and let it rest an hour. A little sauce, a big fork for pulling, and cheap buns. My wife declared it wonderful and moist. Needless to say after 20 1/2 hrs on the egg I was a little nervous. Now I understand why many people do more than one butt at a time-it's gone--but there will be a next time.
And thank you Elder Ward for your info in the Recipe section of this forum.

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    BillB,
    Congrats on your PP. That was the #1 reason I bought an Egg. I wanted to be able to do that without a lot of fuss. I've never regretted it. All the other stuff I've done, is just icing on the cake.
    later, ChefRD

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    ChefRD,
    Same here. I was disappointed at how much time I spent tending the fire with my old metal cooker. The first Butt I did with my new strange looking (and fairly expensive) ceramic cooker convinced me that looks ain't everything and you get what you pay for. (heh) This baby hums along for hours on end with little or no fuss and tons less fuel than my old metal monster. You just can't beat it for ease of use on low and slow. (And I've heard some folks use them for hot and fast grilling too...) ;-)[p]Mikey