Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! -- 25 lbs of chicken breasts to smoke

Options
digger65
digger65 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband just informed me that we a have 25 lbs of chicken breasts to smoke for a wedding on Saturday (don't know if boneless or not and they will be delivered here later on this evening). They need to be done by tomorrow evening and although we have grilled chicken breasts/whole birds at relatively high temps (350-400), we are looking for some guidance on a slower cook so that we can be sure to get the smoke flavor. I've got some serious rethinking of my schedule tomorrow, so any info. as to what temp/temp to pull off/ and general time frame for each batch (assuming that there will be more than a few rounds to go on the grill) would be much appreciated. About the only thing I do know is that we will be brining the chicken and will be using cherry wood to smoke .[p]Beth

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    digger65,[p] 250 dome indirect. You want them to reach 165. Probably no more then and hour or two. If you are going to sauce them wait till the last 20 minutes.[p] They will dry out if you aren't watching them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    digger65, If it were me cooking, I would probably grill them
    with your smokewood at about 300-325F. Wedding guests will probably expect a crispier skin than 250F will deliver. If they are boneless and skinless I would marinate them and not
    go low and slow. Keep them moist. Dry chicken is just nasty.

• Unknown
    Options
    digger65,[p]My personal opinion...don't smoke 'em...chicken absorbs too much smoke and would ruin the flavor. Just my opinion
  • digger65
    digger65 Posts: 13
    Options
    As usual, thanks for the help and I can now head off to bed with a tentative plan in my head knowing that it probably won't take as long as I was initially thinking. As such, we will probably fire up the grill around 2pm (300 degrees), get the chicken cooked, and several hours/beers later -- bump the temp up to 650 and throw on some burgers. We will definitely have enough chicken to practice with and, even if we think it is only "okay" (as opposed to "perfection" which seems to be an expectation of BGE owners), most folks will be more than happy with what we come up with. [p]Beth