Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Brick

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to cook ribs tonight. I read on this site of indirect cooking with fire bricks. I bought my BGE at Cherokee Hearth and they did not carry fire bricks and did not seem to understand why I wanted them. I bought regular size fire bricks from Maner Builders but the bricks are 4x9x2 and they said too hard to cut thiner. Noticed on site the thickness of 1/1/4 bricks were used. Is there any place I should look for proper size? Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Thomas ,
    What you want to look for is called "Split" firebrick..they are half the thickness of normal firebrick, got mine at a brickyard locally.[p]Wess

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Thomas ,[p]I found mine at a local outfit in town that cleans chimneys. They had both the large size like you have and the smaller size that you are lookign for. A place near you that sells brick or brick construction products (flagstone, pavers, cinder block, etc.) is the best place to look, or if you have a chimney sweep in town, give them a holler. Most of the large home improvement places that people check like Lowes or Home Depot or Handy Andy, they all seem to strike out. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, I think Rutland also provides em so anyone who is a dealer for them should be able to stock a few. Special order maybe?
    Also Lowes carries the Canadian version called FlameBrick.
    thinner at 1/2"..so not a stable platform edgeways, but would give a good base for a drip pan or indirect set up.
    Nice also for the Mini for size.. 3 1/2 x 7 3/8".[p]Stack em for thickness desired.
    C~W

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Thomas ,
    Mine are from Home Depot; about a buck each. They're under ribs as I type.
    Good luck,
    Marvin

• flajoker
    flajoker Posts: 52
    Options
    Char-Woody, what do you cook on mini that requires firebicks?

• Unknown
    Options
    flajoker, I cook on the large GBE and a newbee

• Unknown
    Options
    spellchecker, Large Green Big Egg

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Thomas ,
    Saw some of the half style at my local Home Depot the other day.
    B D

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    flajoker, anything that requires a low and slow cook for smoke, and minimum charring of the meat..Granted the proximity to the flame is much closer on a Mini..so its best used for burgers, steak and chops..But me thinks it can be used for a low and slow chicken roast taking minimum time as well as dual cornish hen, etc.
    You just have to jury rig it to the cook, as with all the bge sizes. BTW..I have yet to do this but I betcha one could epoxy two into a T formation for a rack leg set up for pizza stones etc.
    C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Thomas ,
    I asked my son in law to get me some and he brought home the large(think) ones like you have. I compalined and he simply went to his truck, came back with a cicular(Skill) saw and carbide blade and cut them in half. Work great, in fact they are under three slabs of ribs as I write this.[p]Just cut them in two. Good luck![p]Wareagle