Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What gloves do you use?

Options
drainbead
drainbead Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know Alton Brown uses welder's gloves when he grills. What do you guys use as gloves for high-temperature grilling? The Egg gets so hot that those silicone gloves don't work--they're only rated up to 450 degrees...ha!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    drainbead,
    long tongs...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    IMG_0487.jpg
    <p />drainbead,
    Alton can have my welders gloves - they don't do the trick in high temp - but I have never had problems with the Orca mittens. When I bought mine they were rated at 500 degrees, but even 450 lets you dart in and out as necessary. The short red tips are fine but more scary if going in deep!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    drainbead,
    ove gloves!!! i can pick up burning lump and show it off to friends. that is ffor moving platesetters, pizza stones, grates, or stirring charcoal(so i don't break it up). i also use them for opening egg when i'm "Going Nuclear". when i'm touching food i do it with long tongs.
    HTH
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    drainbead,[p]I use welders gloves if I'm doing a nuke temp sear. The long cuffs and flexible leather let me flip the steaks without dropping. I have safely moved both hot grills and platesetters with 'Ove gloves and Orcas. The main problem with the Orca for me is my hands are too large even with the XL size, and they make me clumsy.[p]
    gdenby

• The Virginian
    The Virginian Posts: 275
    Options
    drainbead,
    Welders gloves. $12 a pair at home depot. They offer enough protection for most things, though I have felt the heat when removing a hot plate setter before. [p]Brett

• clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    drainbead,[p]Galeton Triple layer neoprene.