Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs L

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
(1) How big of a turkey could I cook in each model size.I typically have homegrown birds which tend to be rather large 30lbs. What is the inside height from the grill to the inside of the lid? for measuring said birds (2)How many nice big steaks could I cook at once?enough for 15 ppl? L or XL?. (3)Does the XL use alot more charcoal in comparison any additional information would also be helpful

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    chARCoal,
    I would recommend taking an object like maybe a basket ball or something else close to the size of a 30 1b turkey to a BGE dealer that has both the Large and XL in stock. I would put the basket ball in the egg and see if it would work. My Sister's husband cooked a 20 1b bird in his Large egg before... hope that helps. I cooked a 12 pound bird in my Dads medium. I have seen the XL eggs they don't have the dome height as big as the large. However, if you are frequently cooking for 15 people you might be better off with the XL. However, it is my understand it takes alot of lump. What worked best for me was purchasing the Large and small BGE. That way I can cook like I have an XL but at two different temps. I don't know if any of my advice helps.. all I can tell you for certain is the BGE is worth every penny. IF you don't get alot of posts tonight don't worry hopefully tomorrow alot fo people will give you some great advice. [p]Good luck with your purchase. -Pharmeggist[p]P.S. Click on the link below for egg-capacities. Disclaimer: I have not done any business with the merchant site I am posting below.

[ul][li]http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/bgegg.htm[/ul]
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I've done 12 steaks with plenty of room to spare on my XL. I've never cooked a 30 lb bird before. The largest has been about 18, but I could probabaly have fit two of them on there. I've done a 22 lb chuck roll w/o any problem. But a chuck roll doesn't have the cavity that a turkey does.
  • Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    chARCoal,
    I have done 3 turkey cooks on my large. All of the birds were in the 20-25lb range. No "fit" issues whatsoever.
    I couldn't answer your inside dimensions question but that would be easily checked at your local dealer. I have cooked steaks for a dozen people on my large as well. The sear portion of the cook is so quick that you could easily do it in two separate batches if you needed to cook for a larger number. When you return them to roast (assuming you are going to use the sear/rest/roast method known round these parts as the "T-Rex" method) You could put them all on using a two-tier cooking setup. The large has so many options for increasing its cooking capacity that I haven't been limited at all and I've cooked for many large crowds....up to 22 people. I haven't used an XL. I would need the extra room so infrequently that I don't think it would be high on my list. I'd prefer to get the small to accompany my large. Hope that helped more than it confused.[p]Cheers,[p]John