Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Beef

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about bbqing up some beef. I'm looking at sliced beef, not pulled beef. Any suggestions on types of cuts I should use? I'm guessing the 250* range for several hours too....[p]I recently bought Smoke & Spice book and LOVE it....[p]Tried the Alabama White Sauce and thought it would be good on sliced beef sammie.[p]Thanks for any feedback.
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    beefdone.jpg
    <p />Wardster,
    Pit Beef baby...you can see it in my cooks section...it is awesome...I think it is more of a local thing around these parts, but anyone that tries it usually loves it...gotta slice it really thin, and it`s made from top round..I wouldn`t consider it BBQ however....[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Wardster,
    try pit beef
    101_0353.jpg
    here is mine[p]101_0350.jpg
    i will proabably do another for memorial day this weekend
    and i use beef eye round (i think)
    HTH
    happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]Pit Beef.....ala WessB[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    My man!!!! Done and done![p]That is exactly what I'm looking for. So do you like the tip roast or top round better?
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • WessB
    Options
    Wardster,
    I prefer top round, and it should be a little cheaper than a tip roast...ENJOY..[p]Wess

• Curly
    Curly Posts: 46
    Options
    WessB,[p]
    I just bgt a whole sirloin tip (10.5 lb) for 1.78 per lb. I think I'm gonna go for this shaved pit beef. Looks good. [p]Well actually, the one I bgt is spoken for, but I believe Ingles still has the sale and I'm gonna pick up another.

• WessB
    Options
    Curly,
    Thats a damn good price...wish I could find em that cheap..[p]Wess

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Wardster, if your just slicing, then Tri-tip lo and slow, hot or cold it's great.

• Curly
    Curly Posts: 46
    Options
    WessB,[p]
    Yeah, it was half off. I cut that one into 12 1 1/2 in steaks. Grill 2 Sat night and they were darn good for buck and a half steaks. not like a ribeye or t-bone, but good red-meat for a poor man :-)[p]I'll be checking the sign at Ingles as I head to work in the morning. Gotta try this pit beef.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    I used top round, injected with a blend soy sauce, garlic powder & some water (taste for flavor & adjust with water)
    sprinkle outside with favorite rub.
    sear all sides direct heat then do indirect 7 remove when 145F. slice thin against the grain

:cheer:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    fbe40804.jpg
    <p />Wardster,
    250 is more for making deli roast beef, pit beef is done 375-425 dome. here is both done with rump roast, good cheap cut that can be found in a size for feeding a small crowd [p]100_0584.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    WessB,
    Where is the recipe again?
    I have an Eye of Round defrosting as we speak.[p]Thanks,
    R&J