Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood Chunk Types...A little help here please!

WoodChuckWoodChuck Posts: 29
edited 5:05PM in EggHead Forum
Putting a third lower shelf on my BGE Table and thought I would put a rubbermaid tub for charcoal and 4-6 smaller bins for chunk wood....but what type? I have used the following: Hickory and pecan for hard woods. Apple and cherry for fruit woods. But if I divided the bin in half I could add two more fruit woods and up to 4 more hard wood types. What are your suggestions and why and what would you use them on![p]Let's ALL RAISE THE BAR - B - Q!

Comments

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Wood Chuck,
    Oak and guava?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AlaskanCAlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Wood Chuck,[p]Do you ever cook fish (especially salmon)? You need some alder.[p]I second the vote for guava - there's nothing like it on babybacks!

• wrobswrobs Posts: 109
    Wood Chuck,
    I second TNW... OAK. Specifically, red oak for red meat. I use it with steaks and Tri Tip.
    I haven't tried guava wood yet buts its just a matterof time.
    Robert

• WoodChuckWoodChuck Posts: 29
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Is the guava wood a fruit wood, sounds like an obvious ? so please forgive me ahead of time![p]Let's ALL RAISE THE BAR - B - Q!
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    AlaskanC,
    Oh man, how could I forget Alder! It's probably in my top 2. Doh![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WoodChuckWoodChuck Posts: 29
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I think it would be good with wild game!
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Wood Chuck,
    Jack Daniels wood chips.