Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18.55 Lb. Boston Butt Questions

Options
Zilm-disabled
Zilm-disabled Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning Everyone, I have a pulled pork question for all of you Eggperts out there. Last weekend I cooked a 5.55 Lb bone-in boston butt and encountered a few difficulties that I had not expected. You were great with your replies and helped me to understand the difficulties that I encountered on this trial run.[p]I have a party this Memorial Day weekend that myself and some cousins are throwing for a member of the family that is getting married in July. I have been asked to cook the BBQ for this event. We are looking at 38 people (31 adults and 7 kids.)[p]First question: How long will it take to cook a 18.55 Lb Butt? I am thinking somewhere between 28 - 36 hours. Do you concur? (Wonder if I should pick up another butt or two. We will also be serving Hamburgers/hot dogs and grilled chicken.)[p]Second question: At what point during the cook should I anticipate to add more lump or will the egg have enough lump to burn for a 36 hour cook should it go that long? If it only takes 18-20 hours I should be fine but......[p]Third Question: Is concerning the use of a drip pan/water bath. The main problem that I encountered last cook was with this so I want to make sure that I get it right this time. I thought it was necessary to have a water bath to get the smoke ring so I had a cake pan with apple juice in it filled to the rim directly underneath the butt. Should I use a pan for the drippings and just not add any water or just skip the use of a drip pan all together?[p]Fourth Question: Should I cut the butt in half or leave it whole? Right now there is no way that sucker would fit onto my V-Rack? Another member of the family purchased this butt at Sam's yesterday for me so I am not sure if it is a whole butt or more then one. [p]Fifth Question: Someone posted a message last time that even tho my temp gauge on the egg showed a dome temp of 220 degrees my actual temp at grill level was probably around 180-185. Their suggestion was to use a Polder to monitor the temp at grid level. How is this done? Do I just lay the probe on the grid itself? If so would this not pick up radiant heat from the grid itself?[p]Sorry for all of the questions but I really want this to turn out right. I have had an Egg for almost four years now and am still learning everytime I use it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Zilm,
    What you have is two butts in the package at around 9 lbs each. They will take 14-18 hours to cook if you keep your dome temp at 250. I don't use a V rack, just set them side by side on the grid over a plate setter with a drip pan. -RP

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Zilm,[p]I can answer some of your questions...[p]If your butts came from Sam's club, then most likely, there are two of them in that package. So, really, you've probably got two 8 - 9 lb butts. They'll take the normal amount of time 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound and you shouldn't have to do anything with the lump if you fill it up at the beginning. [p]If you have a polder-type temperature probe, put it in the smaller of the two. [p]As far as how much you need for 38 people, someone else will have to answer that. I seldom cook for that many folks.[p]My setup is usually plate setter legs up, with drip pan sitting in the middle, then grid on top of the legs. I just put the butts directly on the grid over the drip pan below. I don't usually use a v-rack for butts. I don't put anything in the drip pan...it just catches the drippings from the butts.[p]Regarding dome versus grid level temps, I've had my eggs for over 5 years now and never monitor grid level temps. There are folks out there who do, but I just make sure my dome temps are in the 250° - 275° range and things usually work out fine. [p]If it were me, I'd not even bother with overnight. I'd get up early and put them on, and then let them cook throughout the day. It's easier, you can monitor it better, and you get sleep, LOL![p]Hope this helps,
    Tonia[p][p][p]

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Zilm,[p]Third Question:
    Drip pan, no liquid needed.
    I sometimes add a little wine.[p]Fifth Question
    Put the stem of the thermometwe between the dome and base of the Egg when you close the top. Make sure it is not touching anything inside and is shielded by the plate setter from the direct heat of the coals. Let your temps stabilize and then after you put the meat in, do not chase a temperature.[p]NEVER feel sorry to ask a question. Unless, of course, the question is; ÒWhere did you loose it?Ó

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    PorkButtcook3-1.jpg
    <p />Zilm,
    You can figure on a 40%/45% shringage so your 18.5 will yeild about 11 pounds. Depending on other proteins being served I would figure about 6 to 8 oz per person just to be safe. here are 3 butts I did for a party. Good luck, Tom

• Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    Zilm,[p]For my first cook ever on my Egg I did 2 9# butts. Took about 18 hours at 250, but I lost some heat over night (down to 130 or so) and had to re-stoke my fire. Probably could have been a little faster if that wouldn't have happened. [p]Just did them directly on the grill with the plate setter in place and am empty drip pan. [p]SCW
  • Zilm-disabled
    Options
    QBabe,thanks Molly looks like it is gonna be a bad news, good news sort of thing. Bad news is that the party is at 1:00 Saturday. Good News is that my brother who now lives with me is out of work (32 years & 2 months with one company)will be home to monitor the cook so I can have him start Friday morning or afternoon. Even better since I do not get home until around 7:00 or later every evening. Seeing as it is a holiday weekend and Atlanta traffic make that later.

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Zilm, see this link to the Naked Whiz's FAQs. It should answer your question about how much.

[ul][li]How much meat do I need for a large crowd? [/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    Zilm,
    pulled pork reheats really well, have you given thought to cooking it ahead of time. seems since you havent perfected this cook it may be less stressfull to have things prepared ahead of time. maybe cook appetizers during the event. its nice to have most things done ahead of time and enjoy the day with your guests.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zilm-disabled
    Options
    fishlessman, will definatly be cooking ahead of time since I have to take the meat to Athens. It would have been easier to have it at my place as originally planned but one of the family wanted it at there place since mine is not really kid friendly. Let's see Pond with Fish in it for fishing, Fuoss Ball table, Ping Pong and I'm not kid friendly? Ahh the life of a Bachelor! :=)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    Zilm,
    ive been told my place isnt kid friendly as well, seems it means different things nowadays since kids are being raised with all these different methods. my sister wont yell or scold or use the word no (your supposed to pose questions with alternatives before the child does something wrong to avoid confrontation, who thinks of these things), last time over her daughter picks up rock off cofee table and starts smashing rock against glass of grandfather clock. im the only one to get up to stop it. had friends at camp, 2 year old climbs up onto the roof of house, the drunk bachelor, me, gets kid off roof with parents, non drinkers, staring in bewilderment. its not that the parents were not paying attention, its that the house is not kid friendly, strange world.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i'd let you watch my kids any time.
    "kid friendly" be damned.[p]babysitters are hard to come by.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante