Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Chicken Thigh Recipes

uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a get-together tonight, with a butt on right now, coming off after lunch. I have a dozen chicken thighs to cook this afternoon to add to the mix.
What are the forum's recommendations for their favorite chicken thigh recipes? Right now I'm leaning towards a simple Tsunami Spin/roast at 250 for 2-3 hours direct, raised grid.
Thanks.

Comments

• uncbbq,[p]
    I did some thighs on Sat just as you described except I was a bit hotter 285~300 and they were a hit.[p]Lazydog

• uncbbq
    Lazydog,
    So how long did it take?
    Thanks.

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    uncbbq,[p]Boneless, skinless? What kind do you have? I like doing bone-in with the skin. I trim the fat off and then marinade them in stubbs chicken marinade for a few hours. Then I put some rub under the skin and then all over the chicken. Put in about 275 dome for a couple hours. Last 30 min start saucing them.
  • uncbbq
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    Sounds great. Direct or indirect? Raised grid?

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    uncbbq,
    ok here are my favorite way. and you sound like you got the time to do it.
    1 indirect raised grid
    2 225
    3 cherry wood
    4 dizzy pig
    5 about two hours
    6 wild boar bbq sauce
    7 enjoy[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• uncbbq
    BENTE ,
    Thanks!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    uncbbq,
    In Oklahoma City I had too much chicken for the pot of adobo chicken so I took the extra and put it in a zip lock bag with some vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper. I let it sit the couple hours the adobo was cooking on ice the in cooler and then grilled it. I don't remember precise temp. It was in the 300-400 range, grilled direct for maybe 20 minutes or so, (not 100% but I did check the temp to see that it was done.[p]It was an off the cuff move to use the chicken but folks sayed it was great. I'll do it again as it was tasty.[p]H

• uncbbq,[p]
    About 1:45 ~ 2 hours I was more involved with the beer than the chicken.[p]Lazydog[p]

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    uncbbq,
    This is my favorite.[p]Warning:
    When you simmer the sauce in a microwave, only warm the sauce, DO NOT BOIL IT.

[ul][li]Garlic and Parmesan Chicken[/ul]
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    uncbbq,[p]This one is pretty good too:
    [ul][li]Margarita Chicken[/ul]
  • Moni-Q
    Moni-Q Posts: 22
    uncbbq,[p]This may sound simplistic, but I marinate chicken using a prepared "Caribbean Jerk" marinade, then cook the chicken at 250-275 for about an hour, turning the pieces about every 20 minutes. It always turns out *fantastic*. [p]I think it's the long, slow cooking time, more than the marinade that makes the chicken turn out as good as it does - The flavors really have time to work into the meat.