Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGG BBQ team results

Options
Bobby-Q
Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was another great weekend for the EGGs out on the BBQ circuit.[p]Dizzy Pig competed up in Danville. (8th overall)
Dr. BBQ competed out in Kansas City.
Just for Fun competed down in Dothan.
Free Range BBQ did the new Landover contest
Mad Max and Spawn did the Chesapeke contest
Team Bobby-Q did the Sevierville contest
Celtic Wolf was also doing Danville.[p]Not only were there a lot of EGG teams out this weekend but almost everyone walked to the stage at least once, some as much as 3 times.[p]Dizzy Pig- 8th Overall (I know they had at least 2 calls but I couldn't hear Chris very well and they only listed first in categories).
Bone Smokers- Congratulations Ray on 9th place pork. (This was a very tough cometition)
Just For Fun- 3rd in ribs and 5th in pork.
Free Range BBQ- 4th overall with 4th in Chicken and 1st in pork.
(this was just The Virginian and his daughter)
Mad Max and Spawn- 5th overall with a 10th in Chicken and a 2nd in Ribs.
Team Bobby-Q - 8th overall with 6th Chicken, 7th Pork and 8th Brisket.[p]Congratulations to all the teams for all their walks to the stage and for doing a great job!!![p]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Cograts to all of our BGE competitors! Spreading the wonders of the egg!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p] Chris had two 7th Place finished in Ribs and Pork and he placed 3rd in the Governors Trophy.[p] I did 19th overall. For my 3rd competition total and my first on the East Coast I was rather pleased. My eggs and my Stoker performed like a champ.
  • Green egg Dan
    Options
    Congratulations to all the egg teams. Some of us had to watch our daughter get married this weekend or we would have been out there with you. Great job guys.

• Unknown
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Nice job guys!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bobby-Q, We were supposed to be in Sevierville this weekend. We have a 1956 f-100 panel van and a 1953 f-100 pickup and the big f-100 nationals are in Knoxville each year. Had our tickets for airfare and everything, then Couldn't go. We were almost as eggcited about the trucks as we were the BBQ fest that we discovered by accident when we were there last year. it poured rain all week but what great food!!! I was very sad about not being able to go when I looked up the weather and saw that it was supposed to be a great weekend there and it poured here all weekend and cold. Maine has not been much fun this spring. Julie

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Bobby-Q, Congrats to you and CC. Also to everyone else that was out there this weekend. We had a great time in Dothan. Even dealing with the midget ants. The Eggs are appearing more and more at contests. A few years back when we showed up with four Eggs to do a contest we were almost side show status. More and more are showing up at contests as people see what they can do. We, us Eggheads, are showing a lot of folks what can be done with an Egg when we get to walk to the stage. [p]Hope we all have a Great rest of the season and walk alot,[p]Poppasam(Jus-Fer-Fun Cookig Crew)

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Poppasam,[p]You're exactly correct. I was almost laughed out of my last competition because of Eggs and electronics. But then we placed 3rd and they all held interest. I recall the first one several years ago when people just turned up their noses. These were the same folks using propane who have since switched to charcoal in some capacity. Now I notice them pointing and talking when I pull up. One old farmer said when he saw us coming that he almost packed up and went home--but then he burns his stuff up just about every tme...true story!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BYC,[p] Lots of people at Danville were asking me about the Eggs and about the wires running from them to my Stoker. They laughed at my laptop sitting on the table till they saw all the temp data refresh on the screen.. [p] Then it was Ohhhh WOW!!.. They asked me if that stuff was needed and I pointed at Miss Penny happily set at 240 cooking the chicken and no wires.
  • BYC
    Options
    Celtic Wolf ,[p]Exactly!! I've already decided to roll into the next comp with my trusty 13 year old large that will hold temp at 235 no matter WHAT. If nothing else other than to show them that there used to be an old fashioned way with even the BGE. In fact based on the Kamado post by Whiz I believe we can confirm that we date back far beyond their propane rigs. We should all roll into next years Memphis In May just to blow everyone away...EggVaders!!

• BYC
    Options
    Celtic Wolf ,[p]BTW please let me know how your trailer build is going. I tried to locate Wimer to see if his trailer was for sale but he appears to have dropped out of sight. I'm going into design mode nest week using 4 XL's and a pit for whole hogs. Also trying to incorporate living quarters. Looked at an old Toter NASCAR hauler last week but that gets to be real expensive.[p]Thanks,[p]David

• The Virginian
    The Virginian Posts: 275
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Congrats Peter, a fine showing! Some day I will make it down to Danville, probably next year. [p]Brett

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    BYC,
    I did my first comp earlier this year and got the same response from other competitors. Egg, huh. How you gonna cook everything on that. Everyone else had Horizon smokers. Well, on my first call, as I got up I hear "Huh, big green egg". LOL.

• Smokin' Nole
    Options
    Poppasam,[p]My wife and I judged the contest this past weekend in Dothan... I saw you guys out there... I hope I had some of your ribs and/or pork and gave it high score for ya.[p]Chris
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Smokin' Nole,If you did ,Thanks. Should have stopped by as we had taco salad and homemade ice cream for dinner. No bbq. I'm sure you know a conttest is in the works for your town for mid September.[p]Popppasam

• Unknown
    Options
    My team (The Half Chickens) cooked in KC this weekend as well. We’re not exclusive egg users but had one in our arsenal. No calls for us but we did get to visit with Ray aka DrBBQ. Nice meeting you Ray.[p]Its pretty amazing how much attention you get with an Egg at a contest. I had loads of people checking it out.[p]Ed

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Northwest Eggers checking in....[p]My wife and meself did pretty well at Washington spring training Saturday in Seattle.[p]1st Chicken
    2nd ribs
    6th seafood
    7th tri-tip[p]Reserve grand champions (lost the coin toss for grand after a tie)[p]Russ K
    "Eat Crow"