Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Sizes

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to order my first egg on tues and i am curious if there has been any problems with the XL eggs, also wondering if a large would be big enough I do like to entertain for business not sure on the Sq in of these 2

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Arc,[p]A common recommendation is that the XL is good if you're intending to serve large groups frequently. I don't have one, but I've read here that an XL can handle 50 lbs of pork butt at once. The most common recommendation is to buy a large and a small. The large can handle a lot of food, say 30 lbs of pork butt, and the small is good for cooking the faster vegetable sides.[p]The large has an 18.5 inch grid, and the XL, 24.[p]gdenby

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Arc,
    The large Egg is about 269 sq. inches, the XL is about 452 sq. inches. [p]When deciding on a size, you need to think about what you are going to cook. If you want to cook pulled pork, you can easily feed 50 people using a large Egg. If you are going to cook hamburgers for 50 people, you'll need more real estate than a large Egg has. If you are going to cook paella (ha ha! I snuck it in again! LOL!) the large Egg will just barely hold a 14" paellera while the XL will hold a 19" paellera. The large Egg can cook a 14" pizza, while the XL can cook a 20" pizza or 2 10" pizzas, etc. So think about what you plan to serve and then make your choice. Another thing to think about is do you want 1 XL, or might a large and a small or medium be better? Having 2 eggs allows you to cook at 2 different temperatures at the same time. Good luck on your choice![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Arc,[p] I just cooked three 8+ briskets on an XL on a single level yesterday . Do YOU need that much food? [p] Get a large. Down the road get a small.[p]
  • Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Options
    Arc,[p]I have an XL and a LG
    I really prefer the XL